I Forge Iron

Let's see your forge doors

here is the doors on mine...
open and closed to give you an idea of the design. I find it works very well only with the depth of the chamber I've found I need a brick floor to raise the work up to the opening. I will probably make a few changes to it in the future.

post-13874-084018300 1284328222_thumb.jp
post-13874-034446200 1284328244_thumb.jp

Ditto to Frosty here -

I've got a variable volume gasser that just uses bricks stacked in different configurations

post-3223-097166700 1284476716_thumb.jpg

Basically the same thing I built if you put the lid on a jack. I do recommend a trailer jack though, I used the scissor jack because I had it.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-050036700 1284490980_thumb.jpg

Basically the same thing I built if you put the lid on a jack.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty
Yeah, I wish I'd seen your design before I built mine . . .
I like yours better - more "makes sense" in my mind smile.gif

I copied mine from a design I saw at Ponderosa Forge in Sisters Or.
Mine's supposed to have a counter-weighted cantilever set up to raise and lower it but I got as far as you see in the pic then put it to work - someday I'll finish it up!

Ok, Ok, I'm done with my thread hijack . . . back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

I've made several forges with moving metal (some lined, some not) doors. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The problem I had was that, over time, the heat would warp, and/or deteriorate them.

I choose to use firebrick to keep this from happening. I also need to be able to move my forge out of the way easily.

These photos show the method I use today on my forges. 3 inch channel iron, welded on the end of the forge. It allows me to put the forge on a pedestal and easily move it... Soft brick is EASILY cut with a hand saw of any type.

post-585-039429600 1284552632_thumb.jpg

post-585-046140200 1284552650_thumb.jpg