I Forge Iron

Aussie Teapot

IanR

This a teapot sculpture I made for a local nursery/tea-house who called on artists to make a teapot for their inaugural sculpture competition. There was 11 entrys using all sorts of media and they will sit at the nursery for a month while customers vote on them. Although the $500 prize money would be nice I had great pleasure making this because after thinking of the idea I had no formulas or guidelines to make sure the whole thing looked right and would balance. After welding the "pour" to the base I suspended the teapot from the rafters of the workshop and used a light spring clamp to bring the two pieces together.Well, there was much celebration in the workshop after welding it all up and gingerly removing the rope holding the teapot and the whole piece sat there balanced. The arms on the base are 12mm rebar with the ends spread and punched to take pegs, the other materials used are 50mm x10mm flat(pour), 10mm round (teapot), 16mm x 3mm flat(teapot),16mm round(handle) and 25mm round(forged into a ball for the lid handle).Base is sprayed with zinc and black anti-rust and the rest is coated in a protective oil which drys to a hard film and should last 12 months before needing a recoat.

Cheers Ian

PS I used wood chip to cover the base

post-5570-056354400 1284325189_thumb.jpg

post-5570-016429000 1284325217_thumb.jpg

post-5570-096488400 1284325251_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments fellas,the nursery's at Werai http://www.countrywideps.com.au/werai.htm the comp finishes on the 17th Oct. so thats before Moonys. Yeh, I was worried the competition might depend on how many mates you have voting and today I found out one of the entries is from the Girl Guides so they might get the sympathy vote. But as I said I'm just stoked that the idea worked :)

The wife thought it was BRILLIANT and even commented that you could even put moss in the pot and have plants growing out of it and down the "tea".Now she wants one.
I think the plants would get in the way of viewing all that beautiful forge work.
Either way,I`d vote for it and so would she.
Great work there Ian.

Thanks for all the comments fellas and Beth, oh, and Bob's wife. Well got a pleasant surprise this morning, the nursery rang me and asked how much I wanted for the teapot because one of their customers wants to buy it! This kinda complicates things I guess, the nursery suggested making another one for the lady, but I was thinking it was like a one of. I have to let him know a price tomorrow so I'll see what I come up with tonight.

Cheers Ian

Thanks for all the comments fellas and Beth, oh, and Bob's wife. Well got a pleasant surprise this morning, the nursery rang me and asked how much I wanted for the teapot because one of their customers wants to buy it! This kinda complicates things I guess, the nursery suggested making another one for the lady, but I was thinking it was like a one of. I have to let him know a price tomorrow so I'll see what I come up with tonight.

Cheers Ian

Not at all surprised Ian. :D
Now you get to make another one with maybe a teacup base,eh?

Nice sculpture!

Nothing beats the compliment of someone wanting to PAY you for your work. Figure your time at shop rate and materials as a minimum and only sell AFTER judging. Price should be at least first prize money and then some. Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong.:huh:

Frosty the Lucky.

Garden sculpture sells very nice. I sold more of that than anything else. People like to add stuff to their gardens. Out here in Arizona we have cactus and people grow them and you would think the last thing they would want is a rusty steel cactus but that's seems to be what they want the most. I gave them my version of a cactus and they sold well, well enough to pay the rent some months. <_<
You know you did a fine job on that tea pot, look real good, I hope it leads to steady work for the garden center and other commissions too. Good luck in the contest. :P

Thanks for the advice , I put in a price today but haven't heard back yet. From what the bloke said if the lady can't wait till the end of the comp I might have to make another one :) Also information that I have learnt on I forge Iron went into the making of this so I would like to thank the site and all its members.

Cheers Ian

• 1 month later...

Well the competition was drawn today and I won :D. Judging was done with customers at the Nursery voting over the last month with a gold coin donation ( Australia's $1 and $2 coins are gold in colour ). They raised $1800 for the local Bushfire Brigade ;) The winning entry stays at the nursery so I wasn't able to sell it but I did win $500

• 11 months later...

Well it's on again and this years theme IS a cup and saucer. This years sculpture took a bit longer in an attempt to better last years entry, with the time and materials put into it probably far exceeding the prize money. As my wife said I have followed an idea through to completion and to win would just be the icing on the cake. The design on the cup is based on the Willow pattern china and I have used the following elements - the apple tree, the willow tree, the two birds, the temple and the three men on the bridge. I have included two photos, one with the cup before painting and one of the finished sculpture with a hand I included to add another dimension and to bring it up to the 1 m minimum height requirement. Well I've got to say I dont think I will ever attempt to make any part of the human anatomy out off steel again. Even though the cup and saucer took longer the hand nearly sent me round the twist trying to get it right. Like last year the entries stay on display for a month so people can vote on them.

post-5570-0-90572600-1316606839_thumb.jp

post-5570-0-25190600-1316607247_thumb.jp