I Forge Iron

First attempt at a bell

Kenny O

I was looking for the "Correct formula" for the proper Triangle bell, well I just winged it. I would not recommend using 3/4 round.
I used major propane. I have yet to make the clanger.or the decorative hanger. Should the hanger be made of 3/4 as well?
maybe I will make it out of barbed wire that's easy to bend.Thanks for checkin' it out

post-2133-064713800 1283358153_thumb.jpg

post-2133-025396700 1283358155_thumb.jpg

post-2133-011396000 1283358158_thumb.jpg

post-2133-004405200 1283358161_thumb.jpg

Nice looking bell! How does it sound?
As far as the stricker, If 3/4s what you got, then use it Or make it smaller? Tapered with a handle in wood?

Thanks! It actually sounds way better than expected for mild steel. The wood mixed media thing sounds like a deal!
I made many feet of bar joist for a bowling alley in Snowflake AZ, I have about 50 foot of 3/4 round (remnant) that is paid for.
Forging it (3/4) in my forge is harder than I guessed. I have a coal forge , but it needs work, that's another topic.

I was looking for the "Correct formula" for the proper Triangle bell. I would not recommend using 3/4 round.
it used major propane.

I use 3/4 inch material on my bells. 60 inches of round bar bent at 20 and 40 inches Clapper is 1/2 inch material as it is easier to handle.

As to the *correct formula*, if the customers check clears the bank, you got the *correct formula*. (grin)

I heat up the center swirly part and quench it. I get some great sounds.

Thats a good way to get better resonance. Another is to work harden the whole thing (hit it cold for awhile) and heat for the bends locally using a torch.

Nice work!

2 dogs,
I been a smithin four 4+ years now, and for some reason, I haven't gotten around to one of those yet, you just motivated me to give it a go, well done, and the ideas of quenching the corners for different sounds??? cooooool, gotta get er done now!!

Thanks for the feedback. It is good incentive, I have been thinkin about what kind of hanger to make for it.
What I have learned , in the short time I have been smithing, is that I spend more time making tools
than actually producing the product. I guess as I progress, I will accumulate the basics.

Just an observation.