I Forge Iron

Vegemite Ban

Mr Smith

G'day all

I noticed there was some discussion on Vegemite in the forums and chat room of late, so this might raise a few eyebrows.

According to today's (Sunday's) paper, Vegemite has recently been banned in the US! It can no longer be imported! It contains folate, which apparently only allowed as an additive in certain foods, of which vegemite is not one.

Can anyone confirm this? Or have I been sucked in by the latest rumour??

G'Day Mister Smith, Saw some stuff on the Web like this

A Blog...
"Vegemite Banned in the USA?
I just found out that Vegemite is banned in the States.
From an American site called 'About Australia' where you can buy and send gifts of Australianism to people"

Then a news site...
October 21, 2006 12:00am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.
The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.
Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.
Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

Well Ms Smith It must true from all the noise. I've never tried it so don't know what the fuss is about. What does it taste like?
Have a good one
TIM

I just logged on to post a thread about the incidious vegemite and lo and behold there already was one. Look, you nose out of jointed Aussies, have you not realised yet that when the leaders of the free world speak we must bow to their might and say yes sir, three bags full sir. The taste police have flexed their muscles and we lesser mortals must tow the line. The stuff upon generations have grown up on is bad for you so thay say. Pity they don't ban hamburgers eh? Folate sure is a worry. We can't have spina bifida sufferers feeling a tad better now can we? We can't have those afflicted with megaloblastic anaemia helped to regain full health either, that surely would be a bad move. A reduction in birth defects must also be bothersome to the taste police.

I know, what about the US Public Health Service who recommends women of child bearing age take a daily intake of 4mg of folate, get together with the taste police and sort this one out.

Cheftcook, it tastes bloody bewdiful mate and don't let anyone tell you to use it sparingly, spread it on thick and get stuck into it. (Isn't that right Smudger ;))

Tyler M, it might look and feel like old axle grease but don't let that fool you.

I wonder if you can have vegemite on the aeroplane, a last hit if you like, before you touch down in the good ol U S of A, or will you be tossed in the clink for failing a breath test. Worse, what about if you forgot to wipe the stuff from around your mouth after that last vegemite sanga.

I wonder if the taste police remember the ramifications of banning alchohol. Methinks banning vegemite in the US may well have the same result. Surely there's enough crime already don't you think.

Tis a sad world we live in.

So much for the much praised free trade agreement, eh?

Maybe we'll become like Amsterdam.
Will Australia become a haven for those wanting to try the banned substances in our cafes?

I foresee a burgeoning trade in smuggling the precious goo into the US, hidden in tins of axle grease.

Vive la resistance!!

Okay,
the thinly vieled refernce to 'sparing' use of Vegimite was almost certainly aimed my way, but unless your raised on the stuff telling non converts to lather it on will hardly cause the groundswell of popular support Vegimite so clearly needs in the States will it? :D
Softly, Softly, catchee monkey?

Once you've trained your facial muscles not to try and run around your head after its hit your tastebuds the stuff really is very good.

I'm a bit peeved I won't be able to take any with me next March, I certainly not leaving my Jar behind.

Ye Gods and little fishes!
How can one exist, let alone have a full and meaningful life without vegemite!?
I reckon generations of shearers,footy players and even yer odd blacksmith have been raised on the stuff......or was that V.B.:D

Sorry Ian. My language skills let me down. The post reads like you spread it on your toast with a bricky's trowel. I meant you lay it on thick over the axle for best results. You are right..."thinly veiled" is the way to go until the taste is aquired.

Gentlemen, I consider my self well rounded ...no that's what the misses says of me. That aside (grin) I consider myself well versed in many foods & cuisines yet I have never tasted this famed "Vegemite" though I have heard of it. Its seems to have the same Aussie following as Americans for PB&J(peanut butter and Jelly) which by the way is the complete package of the food groups(Grin).
So what is this stuff, I am going to have to smuggle some past the food police and give it a go! Any explanation or description would be helpful.

Ian. your references to facial contortions after a taste, likens unto Tequila. In that as bad as it may be at first taste and the shudder as it goes down does not stop any of us from swilling the next shooter. Now I am assuming Vegemite to be much better tasting then fermented cactus juice. But I may be wrong. Maybe there will now be vegemite pushers selling on the seedy corners and back alleys of the City were generaly good folks will be forced go to get a fix of "folic acid & Vegemite"
TIM

'Twas the day before Christmas with things all a bustle.
As mama got set for the Christmas Eve tussle.
Aunts, uncles and cousins would soon be arriving
With stomachs all ready for Christmas Eve dining.
While I sat alone with a feeling of dread,
As visions of lutefisk danced in my head.
The thought of the smell made my eyeball start burning,
The thought of the taste set my stomach to churning,
For I'm one of those who good Norwegians rebuff,
A Scandahoovian boy who can't stand the stuff!
Each year, however, I played at the game
To spare mama & papa the undying shame.
I must bear up bravely, I can't take the risk
Of relatives knowing I hate lutefisk.
I know they would spurn me, my presents withhold
If the unthinkable, unspeakable truth they were told.
Then out in the yard, I heard such a clatter;
I jumped up to see what was the matter.
There in the snow, all in a jumble,
Three of my uncles had taken a tumble.
My aunts, as usual gave what for,
And soon they were up and through the door.
Then with talk and more cheer, an hour was passed
As mama finished the Christmas repast.
From out in the kitchen, an odor came stealing
That fairly set my senses to reeling.
The smell of lutefisk crept down the hall
And wilted a a plant, in a pot on the wall.
The others reacted as though they were smitten,
While the aroma laid low my poor helpless kitten.
Uncles Oscar and Lars said, "Oh, that smells yummy,"
And Kermit's eyes glittered while he patted his tummy.
The scent skipped on the ceiling and bounced of the floor
And the bird in the cuckoo fell to the floor.
Mama announced dinner by ringing a bell;
They pushed to the table with a yump and a yell.
I lifted my eyes to heaven and sighed,
And a rose on the wallpaper withered and died.
With leaded legs I found my chair
And sat in silence with an unseeing stare.
Most of the food was already in place;
There remained only to fill the lutefisk's space.
Then mama came proudly with a bowl on a trivet,
You would have thought the crown jewels were in it.
She placed it carefully down and took her seat,
And papa said grace before we would eat.
It seemed to me, with my whirling head,
The shortest prayer he'd ever said.
Then mama lifted the cover on the steaming dish
And I was face to face with that quivering fish.
"Me first," I heard Uncle Kermit call,
While I watched the paint peel of the wall.
The plates were passed for papa to fill;
I waited, in agony, between fever and chill.
He would dip in the spoon and hold it up high;
It oozed onto the plate, I thought I would die.
Them came my plate and to my fevered brain
There seemed enough lutfisk to derail a train.
It looked like a mountain of congealing glue;
Oddly transparent, yet discolored in hue.
With butter and cream sauce I tried to conceal it;
I salted and peppered, but the smell would reveal it.
I drummed up my courage, I tried to be bold.
Mama reminds me to eat before it gets cold.
I decided to face it, "uff da," I sighed;
"Uff da, indeed," my stomach replied.
Then I summoned that resolve for which our breed's known.
My hand took the fork as with a mind of its own.
And with reckless abandon that lutfisk I ate,
Within twenty seconds I'd cleaned up my plate.
Uncle Kermit flashed me an ear to ear grin,
As butter and cream sauce dripped from his chin.
Then, to my great shock, he whispered in my ear,
"I'm sure glad this is over for another year!"
It was then I learned a great and wonderful truth,
That Swedes and Norwegians, from old men to youth,
Must each pay their dues to have the great joy
Of being known as a good Scandahoovian boy.
And so to you all, as you face the great test,
Happy Christmas to you, and to you all my best!
Unknown

Sorry for the long post