I Forge Iron

a new handle

mrkiddi

Looks good

No material huh, have you tried looking for railroad ties or rebar? Even car springs could be used.

i am currently talking to a man that has car springs. i hope he will let me take them this week. and since i don't have a forge yet i cant use a rebar

i am currently talking to a man that has car springs. i hope he will let me take them this week. and since i don't have a forge yet i cant use a rebar

Forges are super super easy to make, you could make one out of a break drum and few iron pipes and a hair dryer. You can even make your own wood coal. Search youtube for how to build a charcoal forge.

Good luck

I actually got into blacksmithing because of a combination of a long standing love for fire, and a youtube vidoe by puirgatory ironworks. just go to youtube and search for purgatory iron works. he has a lot of great info. he even has a video that shows how to make a brakedrum forge. I made one and have been a kid in a candy store ever since. they are great for knives, just the right size. atleast for me they are.

good luck

I actually got into blacksmithing because of a combination of a long standing love for fire, and a youtube vidoe by puirgatory ironworks. just go to youtube and search for purgatory iron works. he has a lot of great info. he even has a video that shows how to make a brakedrum forge. I made one and have been a kid in a candy store ever since. they are great for knives, just the right size. atleast for me they are.

good luck

i used to watch purgatory ironworks and i agree. he has some great tips. i only need a good source for fire. when i get some free time and extra money i will make one:)

• 4 weeks later...

Rebar is mystery metal. It is specification based: may be heat treated, may be forgable, may crumble at heat, may crack when heat treat, may be mild and not hardenable. This differes from batch to batch. There are people who know how rebar is marked and can tell the differences by the markings and ridge patterns.

I would not try to make a knife with rebar, but would try making other things with it.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...