I Forge Iron

Drive hooks for the new porch...

1/4 inch square stock. Head of spike is doubled and forge welded. The Misses wanted to hang the Mason jar candle holders I made last week. Im working on bailes for the jars so they can be hung. Sorry for the less than ideal picture. Just a quick one on my phone. Thanks for looking...bart

960cee75.jpg

Slightly off topic, but because there was some forge welding happening here, I feel free....

What is a good all around flux to use? It looks like there are many to choose from. Typically I am just using good steel stock from my local steel supplier.

Wolfshiedrx, very nice project. Hopefully this will place you in good graces in the house for the next tool you 'need' for blacksmithing!!

They look good Bart. I double the shank on drive hooks but have never welded them, I've never needed to, they hold up to being pried out of wood without.

There are lots of good working commercially available forge welding fluxes, listed somewhere on IFI if you search, I'm sure. I use 3-4 pts borax to 1pt boric acid and it works well for home made. More important is to clean the joint thoroughly. I'll use a thin file before closing the join if I want it to weld without fail.

Frosty the Lucky.

For the mason jars I would make a drive hook that drops down about 4-6" and then comes out straight a bit over the diameter of the jar then comes back up about 4" in "front" and then curves around in a circle. (or depending on stock is split and then curves around on both sides from the front.

So the mason jar just drops in and is supported on the bottom and by the circle around it's waist.

work on the sizes and you can probably make it so it will hold a flowerpot when it doesn't have a mason jar.

For the mason jars I would make a drive hook that drops down about 4-6" and then comes out straight a bit over the diameter of the jar then comes back up about 4" in "front" and then curves around in a circle. (or depending on stock is split and then curves around on both sides from the front.

So the mason jar just drops in and is supported on the bottom and by the circle around it's waist.

work on the sizes and you can probably make it so it will hold a flowerpot when it doesn't have a mason jar.

Great idea! Might have to try that. It's the free exchange if ideas that I love about this site. thanks...bart