I Forge Iron

My first folded and welded axe

CurlyGeorge you mentioned you ahd a hard time makeing the weld take on your first try, what was the problem you were having? how did you get the next one to work?

I'm thinking of trying to make a welded bit ax soon, I have some mild and a few useless files I would like ot find a new use for, and this sounds like a good one.

I tried to rush it instead of getting a longer soaking heat. It was ready on the outside, but not where the two pieces touched. Now, I let it heat slower and all the way thru before I get too excited about welding it. That is the way it should be done. :D

thanks I'll keep it in mind, Ive only tried to weldonce before, it was just a jest pallets straps and the weld didn't take, so I guess I'll give it a try

thanks I'll keep it in mind, Ive only tried to weldonce before, it was just a jest pallets straps and the weld didn't take, so I guess I'll give it a try

Another thing I have found that helps my welds stick is to have the mating surfaces VERY clean...down to shiny metal whenever possible. Since I have started grinding or filing the surfaces before welding and heating slowly, as mentioned above, most of my welds "stick". I'm still a relative beginner, so it really thrills me when a weld takes. bart

One trick I use on myself is that I bring the fire way up and then turn off the air completely and stick the piece deep in the fire to preheat and go get a bottle of water or use the restroom. helps to pre-heat the piece thoroughly before I drag it out and flux it and put it back in and turn the air back on to get my weld.

With the air off the fire is reducing and doing something else lets it heat through and through without me getting impatient...

mix up a flux from 2/3 boric acid and 1/3 steel powder/ shavings (like out of a brake grinding machine or a sandblaster). even a half retarded sea sponge could weld with this stuff, it practically wants to weld it'self lols.

Wouldnt be too worried 'bout fluxes....keep a good eye on your fire.

It is possible to weld without flux. But regular borax is fine. You want your piece to be in the reducing bit of the fire. Not even a half retarded sea-sponge with all of the flux in the world could weld if his piece wasnt in a reducing atmosfere.

Cheers

ok, enough about the sea sponges retarded or not. Im not 100% familiar with propane forges and their flames, a reducing flame/atmosphere? what does this mean?

A reducing flame is another way of saying a rich flame. i.e more fuel than air. The opposite would be an oxidizing or lean flame (More air, less fuel). Ideally, a neutral flame would have an equal mix of fuel and air

A reducing flame is another way of saying a rich flame. i.e more fuel than air. The opposite would be an oxidizing or lean flame (More air, less fuel). Ideally, a neutral flame would have an equal mix of fuel and air

how would I tell the difference? color? if so what are the colors?