I Forge Iron

Not for Blacksmithing but....curious..

Ford model A should tell the age and I am sure it is a valve spring compressor for a flathead engine. Those are the old ones that had the valves in the block so the spring compressors needed to reach in a window to get to the valves. I have used similar ones on 40's flathead jeep engines.
Rob

Yep, valve spring compressor. The Model-A engine has a window on the side for accessing the valves. Model-A's were made from 1928-1931 IIRC. We have a 1929 6 window Murry bodied sedan back at my folks estate. The wrenches are pretty common, and I used to see them all the time at the automotive swap meets in CA.

Seems like it works opposite of a spring compressor? As one closes the handles the jaws open?
Is it that it fits between valve spring retainer and a loosened rocker. When clamped to open the valve so the little keepers can be taken off the stem?
Hmmm
Always like these old ponder tools.....

No rocker arms as it is a flathead engine. Cam in side of block, tappet, valve, all vertical. The tool works by pushing against the block, or tappet(can't remember), and compressing the valve spring upwards, allowing the retainer to be removed. They also had replaceable valve guides, kind of a neat arrangement for rebuilding down the road.