I Forge Iron

Forge envy !!!

I had to share this discovery with everyone.
I'm still stunned by how beautiful this forge is.

This picture is of Shokir Kamalov, a master smith in Bukhara, and his forge. blink.gif
I found out about this from one of my wife's craft magazines.
This master blacksmith is famous for his hand crafted bird-shaped scissors.
A forge space like that can't be anything but INSPIRING.
I'm in complete forge-envy.

post-4558-028639500 1281034500_thumb.jpg

impressive its a pity he in is not standing to the side, would love to see the hearth....

I know what you mean.
There is a much better picture in the magazine. Unfortunately I don't own a scanner (besides I think that would be violating copyright laws or something like that).
This picture was all I could find online - I even subscribed to the magazine's e-list and emailed the magazine itself asking to get an electronic copy of the article and photos but they told me they don't have electronic copies of their print articles for their online subscribers. So ... unless these guys are still using the old moveable type printing presses, I think the guy was feeding me a load of bull #@$%.

I think I can help shed some light on this- one of the benefits of marrying a girl from Kazakhstan :D

Here is a link to a video (in Russian, unfortunately) and some pictures of his shop in Bukhara. He has apparently turned it into a bit of a blacksmithing museum- which, if you have ever spent any time in Central Asia, is pretty amazing. However, according to the text in the link, Shokir Kamalov is the 6th generation of blacksmiths in his family and is considered a Master Smith, having many certificates for his accomplishments.

http://stan.tv/news/3860/?REID=dlf2r6pps03mog16g4egm3d420
Click on the small box with a word that looks like BHDEO200 for some video from a documentary of Kamalov, which shows that amazing forge in action.

Jim

I had to share this discovery with everyone.
I'm still stunned by how beautiful this forge is.

This picture is of Shokir Kamalov, a master smith in Bukhara, and his forge. blink.gif
I found out about this from one of my wife's craft magazines.
This master blacksmith is famous for his hand crafted bird-shaped scissors.
A forge space like that can't be anything but INSPIRING.
I'm in complete forge-envy.

I think I can help shed some light on this- one of the benefits of marrying a girl from Kazakhstan :D

Here is a link to a video (in Russian, unfortunately) and some pictures of his shop in Bukhara. He has apparently turned it into a bit of a blacksmithing museum- which, if you have ever spent any time in Central Asia, is pretty amazing. However, according to the text in the link, Shokir Kamalov is the 6th generation of blacksmiths in his family and is considered a Master Smith, having many certificates for his accomplishments.

http://stan.tv/news/...mog16g4egm3d420
Click on the small box with a word that looks like BHDEO200 for some video from a documentary of Kamalov, which shows that amazing forge in action.

Jim

Thanks Jim ... and thank your wife for me too wink.gif

The video snip was great - wish they showed more of the forge though.
Still, I would visit Bukhara JUST to see that forge ... but I hear the rest of Bukhara is beautiful too.

Thanks again.