I Forge Iron

New Project

7810d196.jpg

Details: 1/4 inch square stock. Forged short "spike" on one end. Then set down shoulder on spike with monkey tool. Drew out and scrolled other end. Spike end bent 180 degrees. Pan forged from copper disk cut from water pipe. Drilled under-size hole through pan and forced it down over spike with monkey tool. Use "votive" size candle. After two hours jar was only slightly warm not hot. Seems to get plenty of air to burn.

Recently added 10 x 30 porch to my house. My wife asked me to forge three candle holders for the porch. This is what I came up with. Two more to go. May do a leaf for the handle of one May omit the spike from the other two and just rivet the pan on. This is because the votives have a metal base attached to the wick which must be removed in order to use the spike. Hope this clarifies. Sorry to be so long. Bart

I like it, it's a nice piece of work and using a mason jar adds a bit of homeyness not to mention being so appropriate to a blacksmith.

I was wondering about breakage, in the boyscouts we used to put candles in jars for "storm lamps" and most didn't last too long. Maybe it was because we set the candles on the bottom of the jar or maybe we didn't get them centered. It was a long time ago.

Frosty the Lucky.

7810d196.jpg

Details: 1/4 inch square stock. Forged short "spike" on one end. Then set down shoulder on spike with monkey tool. Drew out and scrolled other end. Spike end bent 180 degrees. Pan forged from copper disk cut from water pipe. Drilled under-size hole through pan and forced it down over spike with monkey tool. Use "votive" size candle. After two hours jar was only slightly warm not hot. Seems to get plenty of air to burn.

Recently added 10 x 30 porch to my house. My wife asked me to forge three candle holders for the porch. This is what I came up with. Two more to go. May do a leaf for the handle of one May omit the spike from the other two and just rivet the pan on. This is because the votives have a metal base attached to the wick which must be removed in order to use the spike. Hope this clarifies. Sorry to be so long. Bart

Bart, Many thanks for the details! My wife and I both love it and will try to make one. We appreciate you sharing the idea. Great design!~Eric

How do you keep heat from the candle from breaking the mason jar?

Frosty the Lucky.

Mason Jars are made to stand up to heat and pressure that is used in canning. A regular jar like a pickle or myonaise jar will not stand up to much heat.

Well Mason jars can take a least boiling temperatures and at sea level that's, what, 212F. I used to have do all these calculations for change of elevation for boiler design and the higher you go the less efficient they were but that's not what were talking about here are we? I would think you'd need to keep the candles flame centered in the jar to keep the glass from breaking because it's like chimney glass on a kerosene lamp, the flame needs to go up the middle of the flue. :huh:

Boiling as in canning has the entire jar submerged and heating evenly, almost any glass jar, or whatever will be just fine unless you drop it into boiling water. Mother and Grandmother did LOTS of canning, been there, done that.

I'm thinking the breakage we had in Scouts was due to either hot wax on the bottom of the jar or, more likely, the flame being too close to one side, either would cause uneven heating and glass doesn't like uneven heating.

Frosty the Lucky.