I Forge Iron

metal and glass flowers

hey guys i normally do knife and tool work but im trying some more artistic things and im thinking about getting into a bit of glass blowing/ glass work and i was thinking of maybe doing metal flowers and dripping or wrapping a mostly clear glass over the petals so its like its frozen in ice...have any of you seen this/ done it or thought about it before?

never heard of it either goth but sounds interesting - glass goes nice with metal but you usually seen it set into spaces like you would set stones in jewellery... will look out for the pictures! :)

These are the nearest I have ever seen to what you are describing, when you see and feel them it feels like glass applied to the surface of the steel.

post-816-075869400 1280089145_thumb.jpg

post-816-048820700 1280089177_thumb.jpg

post-816-036391200 1280089194_thumb.jpg

These were on show at the Three Counties Show earlier this year and made by Michelle Parker who does some great work

I saw a demo by Shawn Lovel a couple years ago. She was putting round bits of glass in steel and fusing them there. I looked at her site and couldn't find it right off, so here is a link: http://www.slmetalworks.com/port_hm.html
Very nice affect if you can get it to stick!

You may have to anneal the glass once blown. At the '05 "IronFest" in Dallas, the glass shop collaborated with the blacksmiths and made a piece for the auciton. The high bidder had to wait til the next day, Sunday, to get the piece as the glass had to be annealed for 24hrs or it could blown up. Not sure if this would need to be done on what you are talking about doing but you may need to check into it. I love the idea and have wanted to put "dew drops" on my roses.