I Forge Iron

Monstermetal pouring babbitt

Nope, the correct answer is you make friends with a machinist who wants you to forge some cool bits or one that works for beer...

I melted the babbit out of my pulley and had a machinist buddy bore it (clean-up cut only) and fit a bronze bushing in with correct I.D. of the shaft and the correct clearance. (this is for my 50#LG) Not sure if this is 'kosure' or not but I don't know why it wouldn't work....

I melted the babbit out of my pulley and had a machinist buddy bore it (clean-up cut only) and fit a bronze bushing in with correct I.D. of the shaft and the correct clearance. (this is for my 50#LG) Not sure if this is 'kosure' or not but I don't know why it wouldn't work....

The only issue I have heard about with that approach is keeping the bearing from moving in the clutch.. The banging of the hammer tended to disloge the bushings in the Murry hammers and so many pinned them in place.. I think the biggest issue is "run on" the clutch needs to have .015 clearance and a light--ish grease or heavy oil or it wants to stay engaged

Little Giants where built like they where because it was cheap to do so, I think a bronze bushing if set up right is an improvement, the clutch takes a lot of abuse and at least half of all the 50lb'ers ive taken apart the babbit was loose in the clutch or broke all togehter...

The only issue I have heard about with that approach is keeping the bearing from moving in the clutch.. The banging of the hammer tended to disloge the bushings in the Murry hammers and so many pinned them in place.. I think the biggest issue is "run on" the clutch needs to have .015 clearance and a light--ish grease or heavy oil or it wants to stay engaged

Little Giants where built like they where because it was cheap to do so, I think a bronze bushing if set up right is an improvement, the clutch takes a lot of abuse and at least half of all the 50lb'ers ive taken apart the babbit was loose in the clutch or broke all togehter...

I agree, not that it matters :P, but I did have him pin the sleeve and it does have .015 clearance. I just need to get the babbit and make the pour. Hoping to have a friend help me with that when he rebuilds his 25#er. The luck dawg found it at our local scrap yard! Paid scrap prices for it. IIRC it is a 1948 model but NEEDS a total rebuild. This guy collects old 'johnny popper' engines and has a couple with wheels that are 8ft in dia. He has a "engine gas up" the 3rd Sat of April each year and the wife and I really enjoy watching them run and talking with everyone. He knows nothing about blacksmithing, just wanted teh hammer!

I agree, not that it matters :P, but I did have him pin the sleeve and it does have .015 clearance. I just need to get the babbit and make the pour. Hoping to have a friend help me with that when he rebuilds his 25#er. The luck dawg found it at our local scrap yard! Paid scrap prices for it. IIRC it is a 1948 model but NEEDS a total rebuild. This guy collects old 'johnny popper' engines and has a couple with wheels that are 8ft in dia. He has a "engine gas up" the 3rd Sat of April each year and the wife and I really enjoy watching them run and talking with everyone. He knows nothing about blacksmithing, just wanted teh hammer!

Cool! Yeah I have many friends who are into hit and miss motors and my dad is a collector... They are fun and even more so when they run a mechanical hammer!

Cool! Yeah I have many friends who are into hit and miss motors and my dad is a collector... They are fun and even more so when they run a mechanical hammer!

Yea! Last year he had a little hit n miss running a sewing machine! pretty cool. You'd think this guy was some old, worn out man but actually he is early to mid 40's and his 2 sons, both in their teens, were running around starting up old engines, tuning some to run smoother, and helping several of the "older more experienced" guys with their antique tractors to run right. Was a sheer joy watching them, and they are perfect gentlemen, polite and courteous.

Yea! Last year he had a little hit n miss running a sewing machine! pretty cool. You'd think this guy was some old, worn out man but actually he is early to mid 40's and his 2 sons, both in their teens, were running around starting up old engines, tuning some to run smoother, and helping several of the "older more experienced" guys with their antique tractors to run right. Was a sheer joy watching them, and they are perfect gentlemen, polite and courteous.

You guys would have loved to be in north Texas about the time the bottom dropped out of the oilfield(during the 80`s).
We plugged a bunch of remote wells that used those to power the pump jacks.They ran off of casing head gas from the wells.
One of the first things the roustabout crews would do when they pulled up on site was to check and see if the pumper for that lease had swiped the platinum points out of the engine.
Sadly many of those engines were sold for scrap and shipped overseas.

You guys would have loved to be in north Texas about the time the bottom dropped out of the oilfield(during the 80`s).
We plugged a bunch of remote wells that used those to power the pump jacks.They ran off of casing head gas from the wells.
One of the first things the roustabout crews would do when they pulled up on site was to check and see if the pumper for that lease had swiped the platinum points out of the engine.
Sadly many of those engines were sold for scrap and shipped overseas.

My dad has a 60hp Western that run off the head gas of a well and ran a pump... If I remember right its about 13,000 cubic inches one cylinder... maybe its 18" bore and 16" stroke? maybe the other way around? anyway its a big single popper.. one of over a hundred he has...
4782050962_04d2c0631d.jpg

OOOOOH! The things I have done for beer and the things I have done because of beer. I am to embarressd to say. :lol: This might make a good thread though. :blink:

I agree, beer is a great bargaining chip!

About beer being a factor in some of the things you have done. Was beer a factor in your visit to AK Harold? If so, we have some good micro breweries and I'll be pleased as "punch" to pick up a couple 6ers.;)

Frosty the Lucky.