I Forge Iron

T-Slotted Table

I recently bought an anvil that came with a heavy (approx. 200 lbs) T-Slotted table that came off of some sort of machine. It's slotted on the top and a couple of the sides and is cube-shaped (I'll try to get some pics of it later on this evening). The guy who sold it to me was using it as the stand for the anvil.

What would some alternative uses be for something like this? I could continue to use it as an anvil stand, but would something like this be better used for something else? I'm not a machinist and don't really know much about what all you can do with a slotted table, so any ideas/info would be appreciated.

Sounds like a support block for rather large mills, when things needed held vertical or something. Using it as an anvil stand won't hurt it. It should be 100# or more if it is what I think it is.

I am sure there are other uses that the block can be pressed into without hurting it. If you put some hardware on the sides you can do some large bending, I am sure there are other ideas too.

Phil

Here are some pics.

The anvil that came with it weighs 158 lbs - I was able to get it in my trunk on my own without much fuss. I had to have help getting the block in my back seat, though. It sure seemed heavier than the anvil.

The top measures 15" x 16" and it's 14" tall. The slots are 11/16".

post-11274-099318900 1278624407_thumb.jp

post-11274-026551900 1278624409_thumb.jp

post-11274-016964900 1278624410_thumb.jp

Here are some pics.

The anvil that came with it weighs 158 lbs - I was able to get it in my trunk on my own without much fuss. I had to have help getting the block in my back seat, though. It sure seemed heavier than the anvil.

This was originally a table from a machine tool of some sort.They make excellent fixturing devices and you can bolt just about anything to them if you use T nuts,allthread and a machinist clamping set for milling machines.This one has V blocks built in and that makes it even more versatile.You will probably find that it has been accurately machined so each face is 90 degrees to the others.
Excellent find!I`d use it for fixturing and clamping and build a 3 legged steel stand or use a hardwood stump to support that anvil.

Here are some pics.

Although may be used in other applications this is the table for a large radial arm drill press. We have a 6ft Radial press in our machine shop and this table is exactly like it. Using 'T' bolts to secure your part for drilling etc. Personnally I would find something else for an anvil stand and use this little darling for a working table. Wasted otherwise, IMO. 'T' bolts are easy to make, make a bunch of them and use it for a fixture table for fab work. I can think of at least a 1,000 ways to use this other than an anvil stand!;)

I am not pokin fun at all... But I just gotta say I chuckled to my self when you said it was heavy (200lbs) My "little" T slot table is kind of heavy, my 6000 lb forklift wont pick it up but my 5 ton gantry will.. so its someplace between 6000 and 10,000 lbs... But thats not really heavy... I looked at a T slot table this spring that I really wanted but I couldnt afford to move it.. It was 24' long and 6' wide, was a planer table.. It weighed 20 ton... A full semi load.... I didn't want to pay to have it moved and Im not sure my floor would have been able to support the load on just the 8 feet it had... I could have bought it for the scrap price, which at the time was about $4000

Anyway... That could be from a radial drill but it could be from a shaper as well, either way it would make a really nice fixture or welding table, weld buggers wont stick to cast and its dead flat... A great thing when fixturing parts... Nice find!

I am not pokin fun at all... But I just gotta say I chuckled to my self when you said it was heavy (200lbs) My "little" T slot table is kind of heavy, my 6000 lb forklift wont pick it up but my 5 ton gantry will.. so its someplace between 6000 and 10,000 lbs... But thats not really heavy... I looked at a T slot table this spring that I really wanted but I couldnt afford to move it.. It was 24' long and 6' wide, was a planer table.. It weighed 20 ton... A full semi load.... I didn't want to pay to have it moved and Im not sure my floor would have been able to support the load on just the 8 feet it had... I could have bought it for the scrap price, which at the time was about $4000

Anyway... That could be from a radial drill but it could be from a shaper as well, either way it would make a really nice fixture or welding table, weld buggers wont stick to cast and its dead flat... A great thing when fixturing parts... Nice find!

lol. Yeah... I'm still playin' T-ball, you're in the big leagues! In my universe, 10,000 lb slotted tables exist "in a land far, far away" and 200 lb tables are all that anyone could ever need! :D

I think you may be right about it being from a shaper. The radial arm drills I've seen on the net have two slotted sides - the table I have has three. It looks like what's on this web page and the attached pic. But then again, what do I know? I'm just trying to match shapes like they do in kindergarten! :)

post-11274-016086800 1278682060_thumb.jp

lol. Yeah... I'm still playin' T-ball, you're in the big leagues! In my universe, 10,000 lb slotted tables exist "in a land far, far away" and 200 lb tables are all that anyone could ever need! :D

I think you may be right about it being from a shaper. The radial arm drills I've seen on the net have two slotted sides - the table I have has three. It looks like what's on this web page and the attached pic. But then again, what do I know? I'm just trying to match shapes like they do in kindergarten! :)

Darn! I guess I better weld up the third slot on the one at the plant! B) even tho it came with the R/A drill press when it was new, some 50+ yrs ago.

Darn! I guess I better weld up the third slot on the one at the plant! B) even tho it came with the R/A drill press when it was new, some 50+ yrs ago.

Yeah I dont think the slots are a good indication of where it came from, just the size of the machine it at one time was attached too... I think blocks like that where used on all kinds of machines.. Radial drills are surly one of the more common...

I defer to you guys - you're the experts.

My brother is going to hook me up with a set of hold downs and teach me how to use that table this weekend. He works in a machine shop, so I'm going there on Sunday night to hang out and have him teach me some things. He's been collecting drops for me - some nice smaller blocks of A2, some 1020, some 4140, some 316. Not sure what to do with it all just yet, but once I learn some more I'll have some stuff to work with.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Sometimes it's overwhelming thinking about everything I don't know. One day at a time, right?

Joe

I defer to you guys - you're the experts.

My brother is going to hook me up with a set of hold downs and teach me how to use that table this weekend. He works in a machine shop, so I'm going there on Sunday night to hang out and have him teach me some things. He's been collecting drops for me - some nice smaller blocks of A2, some 1020, some 4140, some 316. Not sure what to do with it all just yet, but once I learn some more I'll have some stuff to work with.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Sometimes it's overwhelming thinking about everything I don't know. One day at a time, right?

Joe

A good man knows how much he knows... a great man knows how much he does not know..

Or something to that effect.. :D :D

You may not be famous, but you certainly are valued.

If I`m being valued by the pound then I better start putting on weight. :D
Thanks for the thought though Arftist.

My off hand joke was to point out how we associate greatness with fame.
Many of the really great people out there are not well known outside their sphere of influence.Many also have no idea how great they really are.
Humility is an often overlooked trait that functions well with greatness from what I`ve seen.

Many of the really great people out there are not well known outside their sphere of influence.Many also have no idea how great they really are.

Humility is an often overlooked trait that functions well with greatness from what I`ve seen.

I couldn't agree more. Humility is the foundation upon which *true* greatness is built.

----

"Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility."

"Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance."

~ Saint Augustine ~

I looked at a T slot table this spring that I really wanted but I couldnt afford to move it.. It was 24' long and 6' wide, was a planer table.. It weighed 20 ton... A full semi load.... I didn't want to pay to have it moved and Im not sure my floor would have been able to support the load on just the 8 feet it had..

I ran one of them with 4 60 hp heads for somem time....we made gear boxes for large commercial printing presses...that machine was huge and powerful and amazingly accurate...or was it the operater. those press frames were 3000# and you load them on the table and make em flat....

My brother hooked me up Sunday night. I owe him big-time. He gave me his "old" Te-co clamps, a lever arm test indicator and a probe indicator and a flexible arm magnetic stand. He's been in machine shops since as far back as I can remember. Wish I didn't live as far away as I do - that place was amazing.

post-11274-037568300 1279044850_thumb.jp