I Forge Iron

some more Bowls

Thats exactly what it is!

and another cigar bowl now with %75 more cigar

6e819cd13f5d195be10ccd0a0b0cd457-d3czk63

For those that just have to overcompensate out of insecurity! :lol:
I really enjoy your work. It's great to see some one take advantage of every piece of metal they get they're hands on. Something that's scrap to one person is beautiful to others. Great photography too. Thanks for sharing all your work with the community!

Beautiful work Rory,
we used to toss piles of #80 chain at the candy company I worked at. If I remember right we may of had some #120 too. Some was single pitch some was double pitch, single, and double wide. Wish I had grabbed more than I did. I may have to call some of my old coworkers to see what they can scrounge for me.

How long does a bowl like the Aspen leaves take to make start to finish? How much material does it take?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What type, style, shape top punch are you using in your sinking operations? I am slowly dragging my way out of the "traditional" blacksmithing and getting into the [gasp]art side. I have done sinking with a hammer. Spoons, ladles etc but want to go deeper and bigger. I will be starting with a treadle hammer and then going hydraulic.
Love your work

Thanks! Depends on the material and what I want to do with it. It ranges from a swedge block and hammer, hydraulic press, sometimes going the other direction and forming over a dome instead of sinking the material into a void. To answer you question about tooling it is typically: Swedge block and a hand tool that has a very broad face. Allows me to strike it, sink the material and not leave much of a mark on the bowl. The hydraulic press typically is a 1 1/2" wide shaft on the press with a steel "donut" like shape sitting on the bottom. Placing the flat plate ontop of it and sinking it with the shaft. You get more of a "v" shape than a round inside. And the other way is to weld pieces over a dome, a concept I had heard from Susan Madesci on how she fabs her stuff together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah that smoosh was a little gift. I was forging them way to flat, which also made them harder to sink since they cracked easier. Keeping some of the mazz available made it more simple and easier to move. The candle holders were my practice pieces for the catacombs picture frame: I didnt have the heart to throw them out.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Been a while since I have updated this. I have been part of a couple of galleries and recently pushing some art shows. From watching and talking to others I am attempting at patinas. Since most of my bowls are metal that patinas I am not to crazy about. Example are the first 2 I have been testing this out on.

thanks!

bb-3.jpg

The green is from sculpt nouveau called "Universal Green" and the "Rust" was from the same company. When I applied it, it was just orange. I dabbed some Red and a little green dots in there. They are growin on me. Thanks for the feed back :) They would probably hold up outside for a while. Like all things eventually would break down

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/