I Forge Iron

Brand New 100 lb Little Giant

It was around 13 years ago my wife and I were attending a knife show in St.Louis, I stepped out of our room early one morning and there was a truck parked right in front, with a freshly rebuilt 100 lb LG in the back. I told my wife that I would have one of those one day, she said "you already have one". I said, no, mine's not quite like that :) That was the day I meet Sid Suedmeier from Nebraska City.

A year or so later we went to a hammer rebuilding class at Little Giant, to attend the class and pick up parts for my old 100 lb hammer. Had a great time there and got to know Sid, Mary and Keri. Sid had three new 100 lb frames, that hunted me for years. After much talk and consideration, Sid finially said he'd put my name on one. Two years ago I told Sid I was ready. This past Monday, June 21, Sid and Dave Sloan delivered the new hammer.

This hammer is special to me in a few ways, was built and delivery by good folks, has a few personal touches that really surprised me. It also has a heavy ram, and oversized dies (3"x8"). Ram and die weigh around 140 lbs :)

OK, enough talk, let's get to some photos.

Look what pulled up in the drive.
new100-17.jpg

new100-2.jpg

new100-3.jpg

new100-4.jpg

More Later.

Sid did the adjusting, while Dave and I did the forging.

new100-12.jpg

The two look good together.

new100-13.jpg

And the old one still runs very well :D

new100-14.jpg

Now for the special touches. Engraved pins on the front of the hammer :D It also has dual treadle rods and springs, but I don't have a good photo yet. Maybe Dave will add a few pics.

new100-15.jpg

new100-16.jpg

Keep in mind, this is a new hammer, not broke-in, not fine tuned / adjusted, and the treadle's way up in the air. I'm not used to it yet either. Don't think it's running full speed either, clutch blocks aren't seated yet.My old 100 moves steel quicker at this point, but this one will just get better with use.

Have since added a foot pedal to the treadle and tightened up the ram guides. Will grind a slight 5 deg. taper across the front and back of the new dies, leaving a 2" flat down the middle, and round off all edges. This will draw better. Also need lighter springs on the treadle, it's a bear right now. Might even build a brake for it...

Thanks for the vid, Dave!