I Forge Iron

Is this vise any good

Mike of the North

Not too uncommon to be missing the spring. So folks use mild steel, others convert an automotive leaf spring. The clamp holds the top, and a couple of ears on the bottom keep it centered on the movable jaw. Best I can say is to look at a complete vise, and copy that. Nothing special.

Looks alot like a peter wright, but the ears seem a little short. The end of the leg seems to have broken off at some point. Same with the end of the bell.

As doctor said it really isnt anything special to make a new spring. I made mine of mild steel, just a short 1/2" 90 at the top that catches onto the bracket. Then curved enough it will hold pressure against the other leg at its fullest open position. Easy way to do the ears is to fishtail out the last 1/2-1"and form over the chamfered part of the leg. I ended up taking the screw out and opening the leg way up and bending the the spring further to hold more pressure.
I hope this helps.
Aaron

It's a pretty straightforward repair even if you need to take an arc welder to the leg. No problem.

I used a piece of leaf spring on my 4"er and it works just fine and I didn't bother to heat treat it after a little forging to shape and fit.

One of the pics shows the replacement spring I made mounted. The other pic shows some of the folding stand I made so it'd be reasonably portable, have a handy place to lay stuff like chisels, files, work, etc. And have places to hang hammers, twisting wrenches, tongs, etc.

It needs a little tweeking but works reasonably well as it is.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-081010400 1276918973_thumb.jpg

post-975-040525000 1276919285_thumb.jpg

folding stand I made so it'd be reasonably portable, have a handy place to lay stuff like chisels, files, work, etc. And have places to hang hammers, twisting wrenches, tongs, etc.

Do you have any more pictures of the stand? Thanks

Do you have any more pictures of the stand? Thanks

I have a couple picks though I don't know if they actually show much. This one covers most of the interesting parts. The catch hooks could be more solid but having a way to stake it down would work too. As it stands I have to be careful to step on it where the leg meets to keep it from moving if I have to reef on it. The post vise mounted on my shop bench is backed by enough mass to not need a really solid mount. The portable folder needs some tweeking or my foot to take up the slack.

I'm only showing this vise stand as an alternative with warts, not a good solution.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-071819200 1276980182_thumb.jpg

Forty-five dollars ain't bad but the postage must have been a killer! There was a post on here a while back where a guy and a gal forge welded a new leg on their leg vise, good to see a nice young lady banging iron. Anyway have fun fixing up your vise and send pictures of the process. :P

Forty-five dollars ain't bad but the postage must have been a killer! There was a post on here a while back where a guy and a gal forge welded a new leg on their leg vise, good to see a nice young lady banging iron. Anyway have fun fixing up your vise and send pictures of the process. :P

The auction was online but it was local pickup, I got the screw free today, I plan on using pipe to fix the post for now because I don't have a working forge yet, I hope to get a portable forge fixed up soon.

Mike