I Forge Iron

Junkyard steel finds

Had a recent trip to the metalyard and brought some 3' saw blades back. Also some 12" metal-cutting saw blades. According to the North Texan Blacksmith Association Junkyard List, the large Mill saw blades are L6 , before I weld together with some O1 this weekend can anyone tell me if they think that is correct or will I end up with something that won't stick. Anyone happen to have a guess what the metal cutting blades are?

Second Would yall know if a cut off piece of of a 18" tall "I" beam work for one of these ? Its the general shape and all. Saw it and it was like a moment of inspiration.

steak.jpg

Thanks ahead of time -Agita

Broad pronouncements along the lines of "sawmill blades are this" and "leaf springs are that" generally can't be taken at face value. The world isn't that simple. For a little more info on sawmill blades, see here.

I have no idea about the metal cutting blades. They could -- could -- be something relatively low carbon and tough.

Broad pronouncements along the lines of "sawmill blades are this" and "leaf springs are that" generally can't be taken at face value. The world isn't that simple. For a little more info on sawmill blades, see here.

I have no idea about the metal cutting blades. They could -- could -- be something relatively low carbon and tough.

Well spoken, Sometimes you ask for advice to hear what you suspect but don't want to admit.

Thanks for the info I never read that post. (edit)(actually That is an Amazing post THANKS)

I'd weld up a tiny test billet and etch it to see. I got a free 2 foot diameter saw blade without carbide teeth that was all chewed up. It sparked as a nickel alloyed high carbon steel, and matched sparks from a 15N20 coupon. Not L6 but close enough. This stuff welds better with 1080 or some simple carbon steel. Why don't you try that? I have found pattern welding to be difficult and time consuming, and I have become tired of wasting fuel experimenting with junk steel. It sure eats up the fuel. And if you try to save fuel, you get cold shuts and end up wasting even more fuel in the long run.

MMMMMM...... teleport that rock breaker bar over here. lol

The "I" beam is a traditional I shape and about 1.5" or 2" thick. like they just needed to take a couple inches off a longer piece. I would say 12 or 14 inch wide and tall.
I've always wanted a stake like that and lately I have seen all sorts of designs almost like a swage on one end and taped to a nice sharp horn on the other side.
Kinda wanna make somthing like that.

Picked up a large 2' blade, 2 1' blades , 15' of 3"bandsaw blade, some RR spikes, some shear tips off a bushhog, and a 4" steel pipe for a stand for my new vise. all for ~6.00

I love that place.

Don't know where "here" is. You might give a thought to putting a general location in your profile so I could tell if I should try to pick up the rock breaker for you.

I found a miniature one about a month ago---only about 3' long and sized appropriately. I snatched it up to make a stake from it.

Sorry , said that in jest. I'm afraid I'm a bit far away. I never run across those your lucky. I got ahold of one only once before. Suckers about 6 feet long. I was told it was used for changing tires on tractor tailors. about a foot or so is square down to a chisel point and the other end tapers to a smaller rounded point.

MMMMMM...... teleport that rock breaker bar over here. lol

The "I" beam is a traditional I shape and about 1.5" or 2" thick. like they just needed to take a couple inches off a longer piece. I would say 12 or 14 inch wide and tall.
I've always wanted a stake like that and lately I have seen all sorts of designs almost like a swage on one end and taped to a nice sharp horn on the other side.
Kinda wanna make somthing like that.

Picked up a large 2' blade, 2 1' blades , 15' of 3"bandsaw blade, some RR spikes, some shear tips off a bushhog, and a 4" steel pipe for a stand for my new vise. all for ~6.00

I love that place.

Yeh I like that place too. Be careful with round stock. Local shaft maker leaves 6-12 in drops 1-2 in dia.
work hardens in my saw. cuts less than a 1/4 inch wipes out a bi metalic blade with coolant. Burns drills
inna heart beat. 25 lbs went back.
Ken