I Forge Iron

Found this.....

All I can say is, is it what you are looking for, and is it in your budget? If so, then get it. Just check it out first for damage,cracks, loose top plate.

As always take CASH with you. Once you are there you can see if he is willing to haggle some. He may be willing to help out a young smith with a better price.

It looks okay but as already said, check it out carefully. From the pics it doesn't look like a 300lb anvil, though it might just be the photo. However, the impression I got reading the add was the anvil AND stand weigh 300 lbs. I'd take a bathroom scale with me as well as something that'd lift it into my pickup.

All that said if it's in good condition it'd be a good deal here if it were a 200lb anvil on a 100lb stand let alone a 300lb anvil. I'd certainly take a ride and check it out.

Frosty the Lucky.

The guy said that it's not 300 pounds. (Said it was probably closer to 200) He is supposed to weigh it, but the stand is attached in a semi-permanant manner. (Apparently somone welded large forged "staples" over the feet of the anvil. So I'll only get an aprox. weight on the anvil. No legible righting on the anvil. No repairs! (according to the seller! LOL) He's flexible on pricing a little bit! It will be two weeks before I will be free enough to get a day to drive that far. And if I did go look at it, I'm out at least $50.00 in gas, whether I get it or not! Be a bummer to drive 4 hours round trip and not get anything.

I still need to try the radio stations here! Surely I could turn up something decent at a better price......not that his price is bad, just a bit over what I want to pay now! (Not to mention I'd need to customize the stand to my hight.)

Too many downs it seems!

Thanks for the advice!

It looks like a Peter Wright to me. If it really is 300 pounds and in good shape, I would go for it, but that's me.

I agree with Mark.
Looks like a Peter Wright and they're asking $1.66/lb - that is a really good deal, and if it's in good condition, definitely worth grabbing if it's in your budget.
At 300lbs, you may never need to get another anvil again.
Good Luck.
Sam

Take some flour with you if you brush the surface a little then rub it with flour sometimes you can see indentations that otherwise would be impossible to see it diffidently looks like a Peter Wright, I just got one off of CL as well as far as the weight is concerned look after putting the flour on it the old stone weight was the only thing still easily decipherable on mine. GL

The flats along the feet look like PW as well as the Blockier shape---trentons are often "gracile" rather than "robustus".

If you can drive $50 worth through that part of the country and find nary a junk store, yard sale, "antique" store, etc....all I can say is you really should be driving with your eyes open!

Got a significant other you could share a trip with and perhaps luck onto some good BBQ...more expensive than $50 but a *good* *day* none the less even if you decide thye anvil is junk!

Your bring up some good points Thomas.
I've been keeping an eye out in various places local and abroad. The above turned out to be around 190 pounds plus stand. Just not worth the drive at all and since I'm not the one driving and I don't have the "significant other" I'd be hard up to make the trip worth it if I didn't get it! LOL

I may have run across a better deal on a 240#ish