I Forge Iron

Squirrel Cooker

Sukellos

A friend requested I make him a squirrel cooker. I tried to make it a bit more interesting than the ones for sale at Rendezvous. The dragon head was forged from a piece of 1/2 square bar and the stake from 3/8" rebar. The fork is from a bit of box mattress frame. The welds are arc as my little forge won't get to welding heat. I'll be remedying that as soon as my insu-wool and Satanite get here from Ellis Knife.

Getting that small of a hole (less than 1/4") punched straight through the head was harder than I thought. Next time, if there IS a next time, I'll end drill the bar on the drill press first, then forge out the dragon head. I punched this one then reamed it out with a hand drill. If you squash the hole you can always drift it open again.

post-12173-094977100 1274566694_thumb.jp

post-12173-085913800 1274566706_thumb.jp

post-12173-098256900 1274566713_thumb.jp

post-12173-074762000 1274566724_thumb.jp

post-12173-041761300 1274566732_thumb.jp

You guys eat squirrels? :blink:

Hey man,it`s "Eat or be eaten"! That`s the law of the jungle.
No,wait a minute,according to the Jungle Queen around here the law just became "Remain calm,share your bananas".

Besides the chipmunks are wise to us now and except for the gators down south our lizards don`t get as big as your. :(

squirrel ain't all that good.

It's just like any wild game, it's all in how it's prepared and what the animal eats, if it eats garbage, it's gonna taste like garbage.
The squirrels around here are down right tastey, but like I said it's all in how it's prepared, just because you get a bad steak doesn't mean beef is no good.

welder19

We use our cookers for those packaged peppercorn/garlic tenderloins from the grocer's meat section.

You have to lap them back and forth a couple times on the prongs.

My wife has figured our the optimum distance to the fire for a two or three hour slow cook.

Man, those things are good.

• 1 month later...