I Forge Iron

Ive treated myself......

Hey guys n gals, this anvil buying seems to be getting out of hand! This is my 4th one now (in under 4 years of smithing!). It just looked kinda like it needed a good home when I saw it on 'the bay' , and its a pick up job on my way home from work! :D

Ill post some proper pics of it when Ive picked it up, and stripped the 'orrible thick layer of paint of the poor little thing. Then Im gonna weld a fat billet up on it, I might be the first to srike on it in anger in a long time looking at it!

Love to hear any thoughts on age (everything about it screams very, very, very old to me!) , I'ld love to know why they have a 5th foot, and whats its little tail for ?? :D

Cheers in advance! John (accidental anvil hoarder)

Ebay item number 320528954014

Its not ugly..... (or was I drinking when I bought it! :D )

its way to small to be a power hammer anvil (8x4" face).

No guestimates on age ? and still love to know why theyve got a 5th foot.

Ive still not picked it up yet, when its cleaned up ill have a better guess at the 'tail', it might be to do with shoeing? - im pretty sure this is the earliest 'double horn' (ok, a horn and a tail) anvil ive ever seen.

John that is a nice score. The overall appearance minus the tail is that of a colonial era anvil that Jymm Hoffman had cast. He may be able to shed some more light. He researched his to get it period correct for reenactments. He has posted on here but I haven't sen him lately.

funny looking old thing John. The anvil, not you mate :P

My first thought is chain maker's anvil. The 5th foot would make it more stable if doing lots of hammering towards yourself over the anvil (such as bending a thick link around the extra bick)?