I Forge Iron

identification

A friend of mine gave me some tools yesterday in exchange for helping him sell some other tools he had. Two chisels and a flatter.

On of the chisels is 3/4 inch octagon bar about 15 inches long. It's not been sharpened in a while. What's the best safe way to tell if this is meant for a cold chhisel or a hot chisel? The cutting end has a sort of round taper to the tip and is a relatively sharp taper. It's tapered to the tip in 2 inches. The struck end has a lot of mushroom on it seemingly pointing to a cold chisel. ??? No makers markings.

The second chisel is thin and is sharpened to one side. (it used to be sharpened to the center but apparently someone sharpened to a single side) It looks more like a wood chisel to me. Once again, what's the best safe way to test this as to whether or not it works well on hot or cold steel or either. The struck end is not mushroomed much at all and if the piece was used in metal, I'd guess it's for hot stuff.

Don't want shattered bits of steel flying all over the place.....even with safety glasses on.

Any pro-advice that I don't know of as to how to test these guys safely would be great.

Also scored a decent vice in exchange for coal.

Dave

Check the hardness with a file and temper to your requirements.

No real way to tell how a tool was used/abused other than in general cold chisels have a thicker taper than hot chisels. *But* I've made cold chisels with a thinner taper before---you just have to rework them more often and as a smith *you* have that capability! (other crafts may have to take great care of their tools as if it breaks they are out of luck till it's repaired or replaced---as a smith you can make the decision to abuse a tool serene in the knowledge that you can fix or make another yourself!---just be careful not to abuse yourself as that can require outside help (and great expense!) for repairs)

HI Dave, Quote On of the chisels is 3/4 inch octagon bar about 15 inches long. It's not been sharpened in a while. What's the best safe way to tell if this is meant for a cold chhisel or a hot chisel?

If its octagonal bar, then it is a tool steel suitable for chisels, hot or cold,

You could use it as it is on hot steel,

If you are going to use it on cold steel, then I would suggest you normalise and then harden and temper to your required hardness.

Is the other one octagonal also? If so use as above.

Hope this helps