I Forge Iron

Chimney through roof question

The chimney pipe is 3/16th thick pipe that's 20 1/4 inches OD.
A chimney that size draws both ways. When not in use it will draw water out of a passing cloud, and in winter will launch most every BTU in the shop skyward.

The square tunnel is 13 inches x 13 inches with a 4 degrees down slope to prevent the rain water from flowing back into the fire. The tunnel is some 4 feet long, but it can be 1-2 feet more if needed without any problems. The tunnel is fabricated from 3/16 inch regular sheet metal (black), and painted twice with silver paint. After 15 years it is not rusted yet Hofi

A chimney that size draws both ways. When not in use it will draw water out of a passing cloud, and in winter will launch most every BTU in the shop skyward.

Yeah Glenn I think it may do that, but that's what I had available with the junkyard budget I have to stick to.

Would it be possible to mount the chimney outside the building, and then connect to the forge through the wall?

no leaks in roof, I think Uri posted a pic of a similar design.
The chimney sounds to big to me too, unless you have a very big fire.

Good tip here.

http://www.anvilfire..._loss_stack.htm

Thanks Sweany! That's the design I was going to use but I forgot where I saw it. Thanks again!!!

Too bad it is not practical to have a winter chimney and a summer one.

You're so right! Doesn't it just DAMPER your enthusiasm? Oh wait, a damper would be just too darned easy and we ARE blacksmiths so forget that idea!

Frosty the Lucky.

• 1 month later...