I Forge Iron

Name for my Smithy

So I have been trying to come up with a name for my Smithy. And I woke up this morning and had an idea but I am not for sure if I have seen it somewhere else and I don't want to steal anyone's idea so maybe someone can let me know if they have seen it before. I was thinking of calling it "Gettin' Hammered". Anyone seen / heard anyone use this before?

Thanks,

Topher

Sam has a good point Topher, it's a real crapshoot to joke name an enterprise. It's another thing to spoof someone else's ad if done with taste. For instance, "Got Hammers?" as a spoof on, "Got Milk?" It doesn't apply to a smithy but it's about as close to a joke name as a person wants to come and expect to be taken seriously.

So, how about a little about yourself, where you live, what you want to make, etc. We'll be happy to help out with ideas, especially seeing is it REQUIRES making stuff up. :rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

Sam has a good point Topher, it's a real crapshoot to joke name an enterprise. It's another thing to spoof someone else's ad if done with taste. For instance, "Got Hammers?" as a spoof on, "Got Milk?" It doesn't apply to a smithy but it's about as close to a joke name as a person wants to come and expect to be taken seriously.

So, how about a little about yourself, where you live, what you want to make, etc. We'll be happy to help out with ideas, especially seeing is it REQUIRES making stuff up. :rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

I agree with all the suggestions Topher. I'm just a beginning smith myself. I'm planning on making anything used in farming, home decoration, and self defense. Pretty much if I need it or can sell it, I'm gonna try and make it!! I live in an area here in Mississippi that was settled by my family before the Civil War. (Burns Hollow) I'm thinking Burns Hollow Metalworks as my future smithy name. I hope that helped for an idea starter guide.

I would have to agree with Countryboy. A name that describes what you do in general and your location is very hard to beat. Afterall, you are not trying to show how funny you can be but let people know where you are and what you do.

Otherwise, you could just call it "The Shed" like I do...........

I agree with the above, in order to be taken seriously. I see business names all the time that confuse me, what is is exactly that they sell or do?

ie. Jan's Creations (what does she or he create? If I would patronize this person, I need to know what they sell)

Johns Construction and Custom Cabinet Emporium (too long and drawn out to remember, especially if it is listed on the web that way, if he had that on the side of a truck, you could not read fast enough to catch it all)

Jim's Bait Tackle, Transmission Repair, and Music Rental (man pick one thing and stick to it, don't know where night crawlers would end up)

Using FAR too fancy of type fonts on signs. They are hard to read, and in the case of Jim's above would be pretty small when you got all of it on the sign. I think simple, memorable, is the way to go. Silvermoon Forge works for me, silvermoonforge(at)yahoo.com is about the most I would expect anyone to remember for an email address.

I thought you Americans occupied yourselves differently during the moonlight:

Get you a copper kettle, get you a copper coil
Fill it with new made corn mash and never more you'll toil
You'll just lay there by the juniper while the moon is bright
Watch them jugs a-filling in the pale moonlight.

Build you a fire with hickory, hickory, ash and oak
Don't use no green or rotten wood, they'll get you by the smoke

My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy did too
We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792

B. Dylan

lol poems like that where not writen in the best of times. but more to the subject, i call my forge "red shed forge" cuz well i work out of a red shed. its short and simple plus it rhymes :) and the ladys find it cute.