I Forge Iron

side draft question

Like this wonderful skitch I have attached?

reason being is I don't want to put a hole through the roof if I didn't have to, so if cutting the pipe and joining them in this fashion would work, then that's what I'll do.

post-12718-12724498015851_thumb.jpg

The rough sketch is what I meant, I see square box type at the fire pot through the wall with the round pipe attached vertically so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time using the round pipe at my fire pot then run it vertically off it.

I don't want to put a hole through the roof if I didn't have to, so if cutting the pipe in two sections and putting if through the side of the shop would work, then that's what I'll do.

I still have the 55 gallon barrel and if using it as my hood and then run my 15in pipe straight up off it through the roof would work better, then I'll do that. I need to know which way would work the best because I screwed it up the first time and I do not want to get smoked out again.

Hi Ledson,
My sidedraft is loosely based on Hofi's design, and very much like your drawing as well.
I'm well satisfied with how mine performs.
Hofi's side drafts are really nice, while mine was built from what scrap I had available.
It still works GOOD.
There are a bunch of pictures in my gallery showing how mine is made.
Good luck, James

• 1 month later...