I Forge Iron

So Tell me, Who are you?

monstermetal

Its really more Show me who are you... but thats not a clever song title :P

I posted a picture in a thread recently and got several "I didnt know you looked like a phycho clown?" private reply's... It got me thinking it would be kind of nice to put a face with some names, Its been years since I did an intro and I dont really want to tell you who I am... If you read my posts you already know me better than most of my family ;)

My hope is to get you to post a few telling pictures, not only so we know what you look like, but that puts you in perspective... I promise not to laugh :)

My wife and I on a a yacht her company owns, they take us out for a trip around the sound every couple of years...

4433962021_4ff9608bc3_o.jpg

Me as a auctioneer at the last NWBA conference auction

4052458163_31acba2aeb.jpg

Bike I won the 2008 world rat rod bike build off with ;)

2816230120_61a8efb9d2.jpg

My Dad and I in Mexico Feb 08'

4435620704_2b16058df7_o.jpg

My hope is to get you to post a few telling pictures, not only so we know what you look like, but that puts you in perspective... I promise not to laugh smile.gif

First two are as I was 15 ish year ago (and would love to be again) last one is the grim reality of now, just before setting of for a solo trip from Manchester down to Stromboli ..... Google it!

post-11205-12686692222726_thumb.jpg post-11205-12686692199689_thumb.jpg post-11205-12686692171244_thumb.jpg

Well,didn`t your mom tell you to be careful what you wish for?

Until I can get a whole new skill set and learn how to post pics here you can go to my profile page and see a pic of me and my "Maine squeeze"(wife of 30+ years).
That`s as far as I got so far without the help of a computer savy friend or son.

I`ll work on it. :(
Man are you guys in for it once I figure it out!

YD-Good on ya there!I see you owned 2 of my favorite brands of motorcycles.
Only way I could have been more impressed is if the Evo had been a Vincent,or an Ariel square four.Maybe an early Harley or Indian...

Na, nothing so interesting.

My 30 year motorcycle history has been in order:

Triumph 5TA (+sidecar, got round size restrictions for learners)
Cossack (Russian machine, one of the most leftfield vehicles I've ever owned)
Triumph Trident (still got)
Suzuki GSX1100EF (absolute stomping beast of a steam engine, ugly as sin)
883 Sportster (gutless, underpowered, underbraked and uttery underwhelming)
FXDC Dyna (only had a year but getting quite attached to it, useful touring tool, 5K mile trip round Europe last year)

Come on then Bob lets see ya!

Don't even think I have any pictures of bikes. Had a couple old Hogs, 45 side-valve and a pan-head. Last bike was a 1200 Sporty evo. Had all the right noises, fast enough, but my old 750 Yamaha 3 cylinder four-stroke could'a beat it in a race, 'less it was a road race. Darn Yamaha was too tall, and I'm 5 foot 12! (1.83M)

XS750, now thats a blast from the past. When I got my Trident the other choices were a Norton Commando and a Yam XS1100. Often not regret not getting one of the other two cos they've got relatively bullet proof reputations. The Trident is anything other than bullet proof. Amongst many major f*** up it's thrown 2 rods over the years. Still love it .... only just.

So come on then Grant were's the picture of you, bikes are optional. Put mine in cos they go a big way to defining me. Hate being branded a biker but love doing the distance on them. Year before last it was manchester to Greece on my 883. One year I'm gonna do the the dream and hire a hog and do some miles crossing the good old US.

First two are as I was 15 ish year ago (and would love to be again) last one is the grim reality of now, just before setting of for a solo trip from Manchester down to Stromboli ..... Google it!

post-11205-12686692222726_thumb.jpg post-11205-12686692199689_thumb.jpg post-11205-12686692171244_thumb.jpg

That looks like me 5 years ago then some harpy stole my power (my long hair). Back when I was called metal Marc for another reason.
I don't miss the hair to much just all the good metal shows I had to go to.

Well here goes.
I`m raiding the wife`s files for pics and trying again.

First pic is me and the wife in Salem Mass.Second one is last year in Fla. for our daughter`s wedding.
The last pic is of my latest project,a hotrod shovel,as she was when I got her and named her "Betty".She`s sweaty Betty in the pic but looks more like Betty Paige now.

Have to kidnap my son and get him to help me download some newer pics with his digital camera and we`ll see how I do with those.

This high tech stuff is like eating nails for me.I broke a sweat just gettin this far.

post-11748-12686944671627_thumb.jpg

post-11748-12686946290149_thumb.jpg

post-11748-1268694689617_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic taken last sat night, we had the musical to go see, 'Joseph and the amazing technicolor coat" My son Brad was in it, so we had several people over for dinner, and I was prepping the grub, sauce and spaghetti, salad and bread!! Here also is a pic of my boy in the musical, and everyone on the set I helped design and build, what a show!!

post-4158-1268695567354_thumb.jpg

post-4158-12686956950832_thumb.jpg

post-4158-12686957201249_thumb.jpg

On 3/15/2010 at 7:20 PM, Mainely,Bob said:

Well here goes.
I`m raiding the wife`s files for pics and trying again. This high tech stuff is like eating nails for me.I broke a sweat just gettin this far.

Hi Bob

Feel like I know you already!

guess there's definitely some kinda mathematical rule about smiths and bikes. How'd go smiths = bikes.

Do you get "MasterBikers"wink.gif over there

You HAD to go there didn`t you!!

Don`t get me going on the "Master Catalog Cruisers".

IF you or your friends didn`t weld it,machine it,and either trade for the old parts or make most of the custom parts for it then you assembled it,you didn`t "build" it.

You have to remember I started when you extended a front end using slugs or Ford radius rods if it was a springer.There were NO catalogs,just the dealership and your friends.

The softail repop I`m reworking for my brother has a 113 CI complete S&S motor in it.
My shovel has S&S flywheels that I put in it and an S&S E carb(among other hotrod parts from friends).
His pulls like there`s no tomorrow but I stay right on his heels.
One like his runs about $15,000(used).Mine has alittle over 1/3 that in it.That chaps his ass and I`m lovin` it as they say at Micky D`s.

Mike,
Looks like you and the family had a good time at the show.
Good to put a face with the name.
I guess we know who to tap on the shoulder for food prep when we all decide to get together. :)

Phil,
Nice pic of you and your daughter.
How come Emily doesn`t have her own leather apron yet?

You HAD to go there didn`t you!!

You have to remember I started when you extended a front end using slugs or Ford radius rods if it was a springer.There were NO catalogs,just the dealership and your friends.

Looks like we're not a million years apart in agesmile.gif I got into bikes in the late 70's. 6" over tele's with screw in (!!!!!) slugs and no raking of the headstock was the ways chops were built. Oh yeah, and that stupid thing about as little front brake as possible (1/2 width hubs and single leading shoe brakes) CRAZY! Glad 3' sissy bars have gone too

At that time Harleys were SO expensive and exotic over here.

Like most, I'd love to get my youth back but maybe with the bikes from these days .... and with modern waterproof fabrics.

You had one of those "hill holder" front brakes?

Spool front hub,baby! On a suicide clutch,jockey shift,flathead Harley.
Mechanical drum brakes in back.
After that,everything was easy!

Betty`s now got dual PM disc front and single disc rear.Campi road race front end,mags front and rear,magneto,air shocks in the rear,5+ gallon tanks and a WIDE butt bucket seat.
When you get older you still may want to go fast but you want to be able to stop fast too.
Things like fuel capacity and handling in turns becomes important as does comfort ala big supportive seat and rear shocks.Can I get an AMEN,there Little Richard!
May not be a chopper but she sure ain`t no yuppie bagger either.
Windshield? We don need no steenkin` windshield!

BTW there cap`n the "new" trend is retro 70`s over here now.GROAN!
Hope you saved thar 3 foot sissy bar(here in NE they`re called rails)

Not sure how this turned in to a motorcycle show and tell... but I guess if thats where it went so be it..

Here is a link to my two sportsters and a few pics my XS650... None of which will move under there own power at the present... Projects a plenty... The sportys are joint projects with my friend and former shop mate Joe Cooper....

Photobucket/ Larrys bikes

4246442561_9cebc9efac.jpg
4246442505_051cba9b1f.jpg
4246442185_0c30fd3bcf.jpg

Ok, I'll break into the bike lovefest . . .

Taken 15 years ago - C-130 at a local airshow. The pilot was a buddy of mine so we hung out in the cockpit shootin' the breeze.

Taken last year - I love old iron but I prefer 4 wheels under me - My '50 3/4 ton Chevy

Taken 8 years ago - Two A**ses heading down the beach - My boy Mac

Larry,
Now I recognize your mug!
post-3223-12687162139593_thumb.jpgpost-3223-12687162323163_thumb.jpg
post-3223-12687162435121_thumb.jpg

Man,this is a great thread Larry!

Wonderful to see faces and what besides hot iron drives your life(sometimes literally).

Been thinking about talking my youngest son into a 650 Yammi custom.I`d really like to build him a chopped 650 Triumph but they`re becoming scarce and the replacement seems to be from Yamaha.
He WANTS to start off on my old hardtail,jockey shift, shovel but Dancer(short for "Line Dancer") would eat him for lunch.
It has an original HD rigid frame that I extended enough to get an SU carb under a set of 5 gallon tanks.Needs a 12 over wide glide on the front for the motor to sit level.
Beginners bike,I don`t think so!
He`ll probably end up with the `88 sporty rat bike I`m riding while building Betty.
I`ll show him the pics Larry posted of those sportsters to get his blood running.

BTW Larry,I keep stopping at the bicycle pic.That is just so cool.
Whatever you touch you seem to leave your spirit with.

I`ll stop and look at ANYTHING that is inventive and creative.I think I saw a sign off from someone here that says it all"It`s not what you look at but what you see".

the first picture is from a couple of years ago when i first setup my shop at the museum .second one is a more recent one with power hammer .i dont have any pictures of my motorcycle tho... i will try to get one sometime tho its nuthin special justa a yamaha v star 650 . it will haul me tho so it is good enuf ! if ya see me at a conference say hi! or if your ever in apache junction arizona during the winter (nov-april) stop by !

post-3127-12687492769965_thumb.jpg

post-3127-12687495338044_thumb.jpg

On 3/16/2010 at 5:15 AM, youngdylan said:

ain't that the truth.  sounds suspiously like "fashion"

Don't need no stinking windshield. Ya never rode with the Fla lovebugs or the Conn
gypsy moth caterpillers. Had a bro stop by one time was ready to call 911. Said he
topped a hill and hit a million of them hanging inna road.(there 2" long and a 1/4" thick
and taste like ***%%%@
Ken