I Forge Iron

So Tell me, Who are you?

monstermetal

Great thread Larry, heres my contribution. I too, like cavala and yd, lost my power (long hair) so i have included before and after photos. I don't own a bike but I get to ride this quad at one of the places I work, its massive, they recently had four 19 year old girls in a row riding it, all sitting on the seats :o -highly dangerous of course. Seems I have a bit of catching up to do in the tattoo department too. :(

Cheers

Ian

post-5570-12688214588603_thumb.jpg

post-5570-1268821486918_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12688215172428_thumb.jpg

Dont have a bike any more, and the missus wo't allow me to get another one anyway, and I lost my bike licence years ago and I can't be bothered going through all the XS to get another. So here's what drives me on my day off. So its racing a cat in summer and part of winter and working on locomotives for nothing in winter and part of summer.

Phil

post-5537-12698544075446_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12698552390934_thumb.jpg

I'll say this. Most of you would fit in with me and the guys I work with. I work rock concerts for a living.

I had a little problem. I got very few pics of me. Found 1 of me working ... hard to take pics of myself...

going to keep looking.. but odds aren't good. The hard drive a had a bunch on .. died a hideous death...
Cliff

post-5746-12698638820979_thumb.jpg

YD... Thought you might like my new thumper..

Just got this 61 Matchless G80 TCS Always wanted a early scrambler, would have rather found a earlier version but this sucker has 8620 original miles and has been owned its whole life by a former Matchless dealer... And the price was about half what I think its worth ($2500)

4473470670_86dc02d43c_o.jpg
4473470626_e94273258c_o.jpg

Dont have a bike any more, and the missus wo't allow me to get another one anyway, and I lost my bike licence years ago and I can't be bothered going through all the XS to get another. So here's what drives me on my day off. So its racing a cat in summer and part of winter and working on locomotives for nothing in winter and part of summer.

Phil

Is the locomotive full scale? its hard to get a sense of size from the photo

Larry,

You`re gonna LOVE that old thumper!
I had a BSA Goldstar 500 single that I wish I never let get away.
That Lucas magdyno finally talked me into selling it.
Who in their right mind designs an ignition where the points spin and the cam is stationary?Oh,that`s right,I already said Lucas didn`t I?
Never mind!

Is the locomotive full scale? its hard to get a sense of size from the photo

the loco is actually on a scale of 12" to the foot, yes its a real one, they are classed as a 10 class, 13 were built all still exist, all still in Australia, a fair few are still running, they were the last commercial steam locomotives running in Australia in 1987 was their last revenue train, coal haulers. 2-8-2 tank engines total weight about 87 tons No, 30 pictured was built in about 1927. Very simple machines, very long lasting, british built (beyer peacock)to go the distance.
I was responsible for the majority of 30s overhaul about 11 years ago, from boiler, to mechanical, to painting it, I was the man.
Don't know what will happen in the next 20 years though, I am about the youngest still doing this work at this society, and I'm 45 this year, much the same all around Australia. Kids just are'nt willing to do the hard work, anymore, unless you are paying them, and even then you have to keep at them.
Phil

Phil,Next time you come to the USA you have to come up to Maine.There are a surprising number of folks who are into locomotives and old steam engines.During the summer we can hear the whistle from the engine on the locomotive at the railway village when we`re out in he yard.
There was an old fella north of us that had restored one of the few 1/4 sized steam locomotives from one of the world`s fairs and had a track set up to run it around his property.He also had 2 big pole barns full of old steam engines he had dragged out of the Maine woods and restored.He even had an old hot air water pump from a long gone Portland hotel he showed us during our visit.Andy did everything himself,from sand casting the parts using charcoal and an antique Hoover vac as a blower,to machining those parts using line shaft equipment powered by one of his steam engines.

On 3/29/2010 at 9:58 AM, monstermetal said:
That doesn't look much like any rock concert Ive ever been to...

Monstermetal... I got pictures of fun not work.... and that was a fun day... just under 90F... had to keep moving everything to stay in the shade... as far as the concerts I am one of the guys that runs onstage during the changeovers and lugs all the heavy **** off the stage for the next band... after spending the day putting it all up there...then after the show I (Should say we I am a small part of a big crew) take it down and put it back on the trucks... done shows from Yanni to Billy Joel to basketball games to Korn to Big and Rich.. the list goes on and on...

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

Well...since I use My pic instead of an avatar...here it is, along with My ride for the last 28 years, 1982 Sturgis. This was taken before the motor went on me, she now has an 88 inch Shovelhead motor, and I'll get a new pic as soon as the xxxx snowstorm goes away...

Oh sure...now my pic isn't posting

post-9512-12724186932648_thumb.jpg