I Forge Iron

tire hammer building

I'm wanting to build a power hammer of some sort for my shop.

I've heard that tire hammers are very good and I enjoy using them as well.

I've heard the name Clay Spencer as being conected with building tire hammers and maybe selling plans as well. Does anyone know how to get into contact with this guy?

If you wouldn't recomend a tire hammer, what would you suggest in place of it, and do you know where I could find plans for them.

Thanks for the help!

go to: http://www.appaltree.net/aba/adpad.htm
scroll down to "Ray Clontz" for details on getting plans.

Ted

I'm wanting to build a power hammer of some sort for my shop.

I've heard that tire hammers are very good and I enjoy using them as well.

I've heard the name Clay Spencer as being conected with building tire hammers and maybe selling plans as well. Does anyone know how to get into contact with this guy?

If you wouldn't recomend a tire hammer, what would you suggest in place of it, and do you know where I could find plans for them.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my plans today! Yeeeehawwww! I'm excited about getting started. Unfortunately I won't be able to start until I get my shop done. Lord willing, I'll be setting up shop on concrete in a 14x27 ft. area of our barn. ("ET of move in" is a couple months) I am going to start collecting parts though...I have a squirrel cage blower motor that I hope will work, and I have the emergency tire and the axle/bearing from our old broken down minivan. Last time I was at my steel supplier, they said that they had the 6" solid bar for the anvil post, in short pieces as scrap! Scrap here is 25 cents per pound, so I'm hoping to get the post cheep.

I'll keep you all updated on my parts list and construction, when that starts.....as usuall I'll have plenty of questions and pictures!

Dave

Last time I was at my steel supplier, they said that they had the 6" solid bar for the anvil post, in short pieces as scrap! Scrap here is 25 cents per pound, so I'm hoping to get the post cheep.

I would go get those sooner than later. Scrap has a way of getting recycled. :blink:

Phil

I'm planning on heading to the steel yard tomorrow to pick up some parts for my demo trailer. While I'm there, I am going to browse around the xxxx warehouses and see if they have any of the larger parts for the hammer.
That in mind, I have some questions.

Remind me again what the difference is between hot role and cold role steel. I never can keep that straight. When the plans say HR/FB does it absolutely have to be hot role? The reason I ask is because I'm a guy and guys can't JUST follow directions.....ok so not really. LOL The real reason I'm asking is, my steel yard has a large amount of scrap steel, so I can get small parts for a few cents a piece. However, I won't be certain as to HR or CR. Otherwise, where the plans say I need 2 ft of HR/FB I would have to buy 20 feet of new stock. :(

When the plans say 5 inch and 4 inch square tubing, is this refering to the inside or outside diameter? Or does steel tubing come in only one measurement; outside OR inside?

That's a start!

Thanks!

I think I can field the rolling question. Hot roll is run through the rolling mill at a forging temperature. This means it has scale on it and looser tolerances. Larger sizes typically can only be found hot roll.

Cold roll is brought to final size starting at "room temperature" It is pickled, cleaned, and oiled before going through the rolling mill. It has some work hardening, and will have tighter tolerances. It will also be free of scale.

You pay extra for cold roll because it is free of scale and tighter tolerances. If the price is right you can interchange cold for hot. Hot for cold may require significant cleanup for bearing or sliding surfaces.

Phil

When the plans say 5 inch and 4 inch square tubing, is this refering to the inside or outside diameter? Or does steel tubing come in only one measurement; outside OR inside?

That would be the outside measurement, 4 and 5 inch sq. tube.

I dropped by the steel warehouse today to pick up some chiney pieces for my trailer forge. I browsed around to see if they had any parts for my hammer. I found a piece of 5 inch square tubing that is 1/4 wall. It was 110 inches long and I need a total of 105 inches, so I got all the 5 inch tubing I need. They were out of scrap 6 inch solid or anything bigger. I got a piece of plate for the bottom of the hammer....it is slightly bigger than the min. size, but upon inspection when I got to the house, it's not 1/2 inch but 3/8ths. Blonde mistake on my part. Soooo, I'll probably end up welding a pice of 1/4 inch plate on top of this piece to get a good base thickness. (The directions say a min. of 1/2 inch.)

That's a good start!

By the way, dinosaurs still exsist! One called Lowes-a-rexus, bit a huge chunk out of my wallet today. We went and picked up the electrical supplies for my shop! WEW! After that I'm revamping finances to see what all I can put in my shop! I'll have to add pieces later!

Dave

Actually, it ain't really "cold rolled" it's "cold drawn" aka "cold finished". After pickling and oiling, it's pulled through a drawing die (a hole slightly smaller than the original bar). I know: even the steel yards call it "cold rolled". Only thing actually cold rolled is sheet for things like cars and refrigerators.