I Forge Iron

My 1st set of Tongs

ArtWerkz

Here's my first set of tongs I made to hold flat bar.
post-11785-12675607261014_thumb.jpg

Nice tongs, ArtWerkz! Those are better than my first tongs, also, but if you notice the reins just on the area right next to the boss, the top one is smaller than the next part of the rein. That makes that part a weak point. When making tongs, stucture is most important, and the area from the boss to the reins should taper down so the reins will spring under pressure and not bend or kink when loaded. I hope this helps with your next pair. I think you did a great job on this first pair, very exceptional! I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it.

Thanks guys for the kind words, I am still learning.

Thanks for the heads up Brian, I will pay more attention to diameters.

Fe, it does sort of feel like a right of passage. I have been wanting to make a set but knew I just didn't have the skill set yet so I waited until now, at the same time though I am happy because I have only been at this for a little over 3 months.

I often wonder if we ever have the skill set to achieve what we do. In the old days smiths worked day in and day out to get their skills but most of use do it on every second weekend for a couple of hours.

You should be very proud of those tongs BTW :)