I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's Meatloaf

Upon writing this thread I realize I might take a little heat for posting a cooking recipe on this web site. It might even jeopardize my on going quest to reach member status here with the administrator. :huh: My friends, family and any one who have had this meatloaf say it is the be all end all best they have ever had and I should share my secret ingredients with them so today I give it up to the world and rest my sole of anymore quilt. So here it is. I usually make this in a 8 pound loaf but I cut it in half to make it more manageable.

BLACKSMITHS MEATLOAF

4lbs ground beef ( I like to use the cheap fatty stuff )
4 eggs
1 large onion chopped
1 Tbls ground pepper
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls Lawreys seasoning salt
1 Tbls crush red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper ( for the brave )
1 cup Pace Picante sauce medium
1 1/2 cups shredded chedder cheese
rolled oats
ketchup

Mix thoroughly together in a bowl ( using your hands is the best way )
and add oats till it firms up about 1 cup. Dump out and beat into a loaf
Place into baking pan glaze it with ketchup and bake at 425 for 60 to 90 mins. depending on how done you like it. If one person out there tries it and likes it will be worth it. Enjoy :D

The list of ingredients in your recipe has an obvious regional influence of the Southwest USA. ohmy.gif Hot and spicy!

My wife never makes her meatloaf the same way twice. It's always a little different each time.
We used to live in New Mexico years ago and got used to the heat.
We'll have to try yours soon, for sure.
Thanks,

I am going to give my wife a shock and cook this for her, I don't think Pace Picante sauce is available here in the UK and I do not know what it is,Does anyone know what would be similar that I could use as a substitute, thanks for the recipe HWH11 and to anybody who replies with a solution. David.

Pace Picante Sauce

10 3/4 oz. can tomato puree
2 tbls. white vinegar
1/3 cups onion, chopped fine
3 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. dried minced garlic
1 1/4 cup water|Mix all ingredients together and place in a saucepan. Bring
to a boil, and then simmer until the desired thickness is
achieved. The amount of jalapenos can be altered to your taste.

from http://www.recipetrove.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,938/Itemid,26/

I am going to give my wife a shock and cook this for her, I don't think Pace Picante sauce is available here in the UK and I do not know what it is,Does anyone know what would be similar that I could use as a substitute, thanks for the recipe HWH11 and to anybody who replies with a solution. David.

It is a chunky salsa there must be something simillar over there

I must be a meathead, why didn't I think of that!

I tried this in turkey minus the cheese because my daughter has a beef and milk allergy.

I am unsure how much the cheese regulates heat, and I think that the beef stands up better to heat, but this was the best use of ground turkey I have encountered.

I felt that this came out HOT, and my wife claimed it was inedible (she finds medium salsa rather hot), but that I should try it again with reduced heat next time, so I think that she could taste a lot more than she was saying.

I will use mild salsa and halve the black, crushed red, and cayenne pepper. I feel elimination of the cayenne would remove too many flavors. My wife agrees with this too.

Thank you for the wonderful recipe
Phil