I Forge Iron

Hammers for Denmark

post-4954-12648702120307_thumb.jpg
Here are some hammers that LDW and I forged last week for a horseshoing school in Denmark. They were forged by hand with a striker one at a time. Each took less than an hour to forge, then I ground and heat treated them in about 20 hours. By the time I put the handles in, there will be about 32 man hours in 8 hammers.

P.S. We finally have internet access back, so I'll be checking in more regularly.

post-4954-12648702882357_thumb.jpg

post-4954-1264870354831_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys. I used a belt sander to grind them and a wire wheel to take the scale off. There are 4 different weights. 3 1/2# to 1 1/2#. We used 2" round for the big one, 1 3/4" round for the next three, 1 5/8" round for the next two, 1 9/16" for the next one, and 1 7/16" for the last one. Farriers prefer lighter hammers usually.

If you had robots and computers your hammers would be worth 10 bucks like all the other hammers at Home Depot. As a professional smith you can't afford not to have a power hammer. I went form living with my parents to owning a home partially because I have a power hammer. Started with a used 50 lb star hammer I got for $1500. Now I have a Tom Clark hammer I would be lost without it. You are a good smith BTW.

I'm not in the hammer making business. I only make them when I need them or when someone else wants to learn how to make them or when someone asks me to make them. I know that making them with a striker is a bit "barbaric", but it can be done relatively efficient, and there are alot of people out there that would like to learn how to forge. I doubt that I'll ever stop forging with hand hammers, but I know it can be done more efficiently with modern technology. I'm talking about forging technology, Heat, Hold, and Hammer. That is all there is to forging, basically. You heat it up, hold it under the dies, and hit it. When I say "dies", I'm not just talking about power hammer dies. Top and bottom tools are dies and so are the surfaces of your hand hammer and anvil. I can change dies much quicker with my hand hammer or with a striker with top and bottom tools. When I get around power hammers, the first thing I do is make more dies for that hammer. I'm starting to ramble now, so I'll get back to your point.
I agree wtith your point about needing a power hammer to produce work for the market, but I'm not trying to sell my work. I will sell anything I make, but I'm still looking for my place in the world before I hang out my shingle.

Nine hammer heads.. they all look almost alike.. except for size...

I have found, due to insufficient practice.. the first looks of a series looks ok, the second looks better ... the third gets thrown away forth is ok and the fifth gets thrown away...

yes I have gone 1 at a time or in pairs..

Brian, great work as always!

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. I know what you're talking about, but the tooling made these. All I had to do was hold them under the dies, and they practically made themselves. The people who took the hammer making classes know what I'm talking about. I made the tooling for these hammers with 1" hardy holes in mind, and it really did simplify the process and cut down on the amount of tools I had to carry around.post-4954-12652907426064_thumb.jpg

Brian, fine job! Ive always been a fan of rounding hammers. I have two that I use regularly. A 1 1/2# for small delicate work and a 2 1/4# I use for most regular forging. They have always just felt better for me. I suppose its the short round design, my 2# champion cross peen is made like that too..
I am also technilogically impaired when it comes to moving metal :lol: We dont have a power hammer either and we'er not exactly in the best place to find one. When your trying to move big chunks of damascus or HC stuff it sure makes you wish you had one dont it?? :P If you decide to start selling your hammers Id love to check on a 3-3 1/2 pound rounding hammer like in your pics above..Have a good one..

Brian-- The hammers look fantastic. I like the shape and balanced look they have. That's some very nice work there!

Any chance of you posting some pictures of the tooling you used on them. I'm assuming a top/ bottom fuller, but what else?

Thanks-- Wesley

Brian-- The hammers look fantastic. I like the shape and balanced look they have. That's some very nice work there!

Any chance of you posting some pictures of the tooling you used on them. I'm assuming a top/ bottom fuller, but what else?

Thanks-- Wesley

post-4954-12654996035714_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12654996590878_thumb.jpg

This is the anvil, and the other pic is the tools minus a hand hammer, sledge hammer, and flatter.

Kboy, I will make a hammer for anyone who askes me to, but I don't just make them up and try to sell them. I'd rather show others how to make their own hammer. Making a hammer will teach you alot about forging, and it's a good way to start to learn. I wish I would have done it from the beginning.

Brian,
I have found it is often about the tooling. I don't do enough forging for it to be worth while to make a great number of tools. I don't know how many times I have said .. "If I just made a tool to do that i could take out this many steps/ heats/ hammer blows.. and frustration.

One of the best things I have built myself was a guillatine/ fuller...

love your hammer design by the way.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was "I'll bet I could do that! If I had the tools and only knew how...." I has laying a hard wood floor at an orthopedic surgeons home. I am a carpenter by trade. The doctor was talking to my boss. The least funny moment was when I was working my forge one day and said the same thing...

You give me encouragement with every picture and project,
Cliff

Brian,

I’m fascinated by your few tools and obvious success forging with them. I have a thousand questions, I hope you don’t mind. The first picture looks like it shows the slug from punching with the slot punch, but the picture of your tools looks like the punch is sharpened. Would you show a picture of the punch? It would be hard to drive a flat punch that size through that thick of steel. But the hole looks clean, do you get fewer rags with this method?