I Forge Iron

Hammers for Denmark

I have just about left my Tom Clark cross pien in the rack lately...I love my Brazeal hammer. The coolest part is that I "helped"...when not missing and sending things flying across the shop! Great hammer! Thanks again for the experience Brian.

Peyton

Peyton, I'm glad you like your hammer. It's funny that you remember that missed blow. I remember how well you did striking. You did an excellent job. Everyone misses hits now and then. It's the ones you hit that count, and you nailed most of them.

Brian,

I’ve never seen your method used or described before, your ‘punch’ looks like the same type used in Hofi / Clark system but not the same technique. Do you drive the slug through from one side into a backing slot of some kind? Or do you back drive the slug as usual? Your post #14 & 18 describing the tools you ‘carry around’ are these just the tools you used to make the hammers or are they the only tools you keep? When needing a ‘special’ tool do you just think of it as part of the expense and process of the project? I want to try your punching technique but first I must get busy and make that style of punch/cutter. Do I need to follow any specific pattern or is it a ‘close enough’ thing?

I’ve never seen your method used or described before, your ‘punch’ looks like the same type used in Hofi / Clark system but not the same technique. Do you drive the slug through from one side into a backing slot of some kind? Or do you back drive the slug as usual? Your post #14 & 18 describing the tools you ‘carry around’ are these just the tools you used to make the hammers or are they the only tools you keep? When needing a ‘special’ tool do you just think of it as part of the expense and process of the project? I want to try your punching technique but first I must get busy and make that style of punch/cutter. Do I need to follow any specific pattern or is it a ‘close enough’ thing?

Hofi/Clark System?????? No, I think Brian uses the "use your brain and get it done system". Too many folks spend so much time thinking about forging and talking about forging that they never find time to DO forging. I guarantee Brian didn't start right off making the kind of work you see today. He built a junk pile first, and he kept at it, learned from what he did, experimented and KEPT BEATING IRON. Nothing will substitute for practice combined with using your brain. Everyones "system" works for them because they got the moves down! What "system" you think this guy is using? (crappy tools and all): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYSXpS9keI

Brian, be sure to see the other videos by the same guy. Some people laugh, but I'm just in awe! These guys could do more with a couple rocks than many of us can do with all our fancy equipment. Actually, I think you'd be right at home. That's a compliment BTW. ;)

Hey you guys! Notice the "leather" gloves Brian is using are the natural ones you develop BY WORKING, ya can't buy those in the store. Learn to work without gloves and your work will improve dramatically.

Hofi/Clark System?????? No, I think Brian uses the "use your brain and get it done system". Too many folks spend so much time thinking about forging and talking about forging that they never find time to DO forging. I guarantee Brian didn't start right off making the kind of work you see today. He built a junk pile first, and he kept at it, learned from what he did, experimented and KEPT BEATING IRON. Nothing will substitute for practice combined with using your brain. Everyones "system" works for them because they got the moves down! What "system" you think this guy is using? (crappy tools and all): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYSXpS9keI

nakedanvil,

Em…… well I don’t know you and I’m not sure if I should be the one that points this out to you, but I think you’ve been working too hard lately, you’ve lost a lot of weight! You should take better care of yourself. I agree, system may have been the wrong word, but learning the ways of others may improve yours, well mine anyway. And I admire his simplicity of tools and his results have a refined ruggedness that is pleasing to the eye. So I want to learn more. Thanks Brian for the ‘Slitter Geometry’ lead, it answers many questions. That topic is almost a year old I would have never seen it. I still have 896 more questions but I’ll take it slow, I don’t want to hear you do a W.C. Fields ‘go away boy you bother me’ line. Nakedanvil don’t call that guys tools crappy they look a lot like mine, and my skins kind of thin.