I Forge Iron

Some advice please

G'day fellas I would like some advice on this anvil http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Anvil-Blacksmith-280-kilo-480LBS-VINTAGE_W0QQitemZ330396627837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ToolsHardwareLocks?hash=item4ced2c737d , it appears that the heel has been broken and some attachments welded on in its place. The fact that the heel is broken is not of huge consequence to me, although the welding may have affected the temper of the face if not done properly. I like the weight and the physical dimensions and face appears to be in good nick. I have messaged the guy and there appears to be no numbers or names stamped on the anvil, but it appears to be at his Mothers place and he doesn't seem to know much about it and I would guess it's a tad heavy for his Mum to check underneath for any markings. the trouble is this town is a good 7 hours from where I live, I'm willing to make a weekend of the trip and stay somewhere nice with the missus, but am I wasting my time and money bidding on it?

Cheers Ian Ross

Find out if it rings! Looks like a cast steel one to me and should ring well; if it doesn't then there is a hidden problem!

Funny how the drawing with rear hardy hole and shoeing clips doesn't look like the anvil at all to a smith...

Also sounds like some swages were retrofitted to it; not a problem if there is enough good clean face left to use.

G'Day Ian ,
pity you didn't post this last week , i was in the area ( Benalla ) over the weekend & coulda hadda look at it for youse . Could ring Father inlaw & ask him if he'd go take a gander at it for you ???
PM me , but make it fast as auction ain't got long ta go

Dale Russell