I Forge Iron

Railing Volutes

Gayle Brooks

I recently jumped on in the middle of a project and was assigned to make the volutes for the grip rail. I took some time and thought how to make this fluid, spiral, descending shape. A thought came to make this upside down. To pull the cap like a slinky to get this shape. We have a hoist that spans most of the shop that could accomplish this.

First was to make a template of the stairs and using 3/8" round bar I bend up a template based off the layout of what should happen.
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg

Here is the cap with the spiral already made. It is flat in this picture.
IMG_0226.jpg

Using flat bar, I welded these additional guides onto the flat bar. They are put on with a level. I also transferred the line down to the table for reference when I start to manipulate this.
IMG_0227.jpg

So heating it up in the forge, I clamped it down and had an eye bolt already for the hoist. I had a guide to assist when I reached my height for the center. The first pull came out very close.
IMG_0228.jpg

Some shots of adjusting to the template
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0230.jpg

Then finally start tweaking and fit to the template.
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• 1 month later...

Here`s a question,which final pic do you prefer?
Money and additional work aside,if it were your house would you go with the simple no pickets look or the addition of more and why do you prefer it?

You obviously have a very well developed eye for this is why I ask.

thats very clever how you got that curve! i love it :) Its really interesting to see the two outcomes with your photo shop thing - i totally rate both, but personally prefer the one without the pickets - i love the space round the posts. It just looks clean and good to me. Its all subjective tho eh? also it may well look and feel different in the flesh. thanks for another post - i learn loads off your posts!

• 9 months later...

The client got back and wants the baskets. So we pulled the hole grip rail out and now have it setup at the studio at the same rake it was installed at. Thought I would share the progress of adding on an element and the reminder that once the project is done, there might be something to do down the road.

So first thing was a piece of Masonite that we took with us and traced the tread, posts and where the actual post was on the tread. I then dropped a plumb bob from center of the cap down to the Masonite and transferred the line of the cap since my pickets will follow this. I used a permanent magnet to hold my line. The paper is there so I can easily pull the string if I need.
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg

I tack welded some bar at the 4" gap marks to see how it would like. Since we are at the bottom tread outside of the main post code doesn't apply here. Though I am sticking with the 4" max to keep it consistent with the rest of the rail.
IMG_0670.jpg

I had a scroll jig that was close to what I needed. I bent the pieces together then adjusted them out for the 3/4" square bar.
IMG_0680.jpg

Step work of the twist detail on the pickets. Pretty simple. 2 flat twist.
IMG_0681.jpg

so in all I have my parts pretty much done. Some adjusting and a welded support on the top so I can remove it and rivet the bottoms. The other side will get the same treatment.
IMG_0683.jpg

Thanks for reading! :)

That's a great looking job! A 'must put' for your marketing docs.

How did you post these photo's in this format (other than thumbnails?)

Incidentally the 'code' using 4" is similar around most of the world ie.100 dia ball etc. This is not just 'prevention against falling' but also 'preventing the passage of a child's head'.....often not considered by metalworkers worldwide, causing much anguish to parents of s....(environmentally chalenged) kids. :D

Ian

• 1 month later...

That is a good job Rory. I personally like the "no pickets" look but that's just me and my "form follows function" mentality. ;) If it ain't broke, don't fix it sorta thing. I'm a minimalist and part of it is because I'm lazy but also because less is more sometimes. You did a good job giving the customer what they want though and that's the important thing. I think we all at some point or maybe at alot of times, have to give the customer what they want even if it's horrid. Money and sense of style don't always go together !!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Rory; Very Nice! Very Nice in deed!
You sir have a buckett load of skills!
1. Metal fabraction skills.
2. Skills of thinking and reasoning for lay-out.
3. An understanding of the order of operations.
4. Add Persistence and self-esteem of a Craftsman to the
mix, and just look at what ya created.

It is still exciting and somewhat amazing to me when I see a physical product created, that started out as only a thought (from only a thought, to physical reality).

It may be that this satisfaction is one of the many benefits of time spent in honing your skills as a craftsman.

You will never give away more than what you will gain by sharing your skills with us.

Please keep up the good work.

I appreciate it, and no doubt others have also!

The reason I wanted to make my comments to you is that “You” and others of your generation will be the ones carrying on the banner of excellence in the metal working and Blacksmithing craft.

And you are doing it well!

Ted Throckmorton