I Forge Iron

1 5/8 4140 Alloy bar stock for sale

In a lot of material I bought I got over a dozen 20' bars of 1 5/8 round 4140... I have been using it to make handled tooling for my powerhammer with great results... Anyway since I have close to a ton of the stuff I figured Id offer to share a bit... I can cut it to length and ship UPS if you like... .50/lb ( I think its about 7.5lb to the foot )

What is a reasonable amount in a flat rate postal box gonna cost, and how do we pay you? I think the "medium" holds up to 1 ft long, but I'm not sure. I wonder how much would fit in a "small" since I am interested in enough for a few hammer heads and the like.

The amount is vague because I don't know how much will fit and not risk destroying the box, and I don't know how much I really need, but it's not like steel spoils very quick.

Phil

It works out out $3.75 a foot (online metals price is $27.00 a foot) I am happy to ship in a flat rate box... I am going to stop by the post office today and see what box will work best and how much will fit, I'll post the findings tonight when I get home..

Also would like to say this is not a money making deal for me, I am just trying to share my good fortune at finding a cheap pile of good material.. and as such there is only so much I am going to let go of.. So if you would like some speak up, it will be first come first serve and this will be your one and only chance :)

It works out out $3.75 a foot (online metals price is $27.00 a foot) I am happy to ship in a flat rate box... I am going to stop by the post office today and see what box will work best and how much will fit, I'll post the findings tonight when I get home..

Also would like to say this is not a money making deal for me, I am just trying to share my good fortune at finding a cheap pile of good material.. and as such there is only so much I am going to let go of.. So if you would like some speak up, it will be first come first serve and this will be your one and only chance :)

Oh and I am in Seattle, Zip is 98188 or 98092.... I think a flat rate box if you can tolerate the short lengths is the way to go...

Larry

Note that the real expense is in *handling*. When shipping metal I tend to try to build a wooden box that fits inside the flat rate box as I have had 50% shipping failure when I did not do so. For largish pieces labeling each piece inside the box as well helps.

Had a friend ship me a 68# flat rate that arrived with only a couple of sq inches of box left and the rest Post Office tape; both pieces in it were labeled and it got to me with nothing more than an annoyed USPS. (They actually had me go *behind* the counter and into the working room to pick it up out of the wheelbarrow they had it in...)

Ok. Sorry everyone but this has turned into a major mess. The new plan is this. I have 5 flat rate boxes each with 6 13" chunks (about 50lbs) One box per person $40 shipped
and one box thAt has 4 13". 2 10" and 4 1.5" chunks. Also about 50 lbs. Also $40 shipped

I sold a couple full bars to a local and so that's all I want to let go of. Bob and Tim both have contacted me directly and have a box if they want. I would prefer paypal. I will make one run to the post office when all the boxes are sold. Email me at larryleelangdon at yahoo to check what's available that's also my paypal address

sorry this got so messy. I was thinking I would cut off a 5 foot chunk and put a UPS tag on it. As it stands I cut up about 40 pc and spent all morning boxing and sawing. At shop rate it cost me about $350 to sell a bunch of steel for what I paid for it

anyway to make it as simple and fair as I could this is what I came up with

• 2 weeks later...

To all those who have a box coming (with the exception of Sam)

This has been quite punishing, I took the boxes to the post office today for the third time... The first time they where returned to my address because of a post office error regarding postage, The second time they would not accept them without either repaying postage or proof that the online payment had cleared my bank... So finally today after almost a week of messing around and reshipping these things they are finally on there way (I hope!) I dont know why things like this happen to a 300 lb pile of steel rather than when I am shipping something light!