I Forge Iron

Small Hunter

nonjic

Finished this one up over the weekend, and thought I would share!

The blades about 4", very low layer 15n20 / 1080, forged from a scrap of twisted bar (the 'handle end!')finished the blade about a year ago, but only just matched it to this piece of wood!

The guard is tricky patternwelded wrought iron, but due to an assembly error had to be sanded flat so just looks rubbish!

Im reasonably pleased with how it turned out, but theres some room for improvment 'crisping' the lines of the knife up,.

All comments welcome!

DSCF0334.jpg

Thanks for the nice words everyone! Im just not happy with the guard as it is looked stunning etched up (a section of 3 bar, wrought iron & steel twisted damascus), now it just looks dull and grey! Hidden pins on the next one to allow accurate assembly (I cut a corner on this one and paid the price!)

John,
I've been wanting to do a similar thing as far as a pattern welded guard/bolster, but haven't figured out the process of how to do the final handle fitting without erasing the etch. When you figure this out, let me know what your process is...

And like the others... I got plenty of room at my place for your "rubbish"!!!

From speaking to other (much more experienced!) makers the best way to fit the guard is a couple of hidden pins between handle and guard, and a couple of blobs of superglue.

Then shape the handle and guard as one piece.

When its all 'finish' sanded tap the guard off the handle and etch (dont forget to drip some wax, or put a bit of bondo into the slot to stop it etching bigger!)

You can then re-assemble the now etched guard back onto the handle block in exactly the right place with the hidden pins & a very thin wipe of epoxy (remember you cant sand excess glue off afterwards!)

I cut a corner and shaped the guard / handle just held together with superglue, no pins. When I glued it back together is slipped, only by 0.010" or so, but looked awfull, hence needing to sand it all back in line again! live and learn.

I am quite pleased with the knife in general, but I know it could have been lots better ! :)

• 1 month later...