I Forge Iron

HD Guillotine tool

KYBOY

I got tired of trying to swage big stock with spring swages and the one guillotine tool I had was to small so I b uilt this one from all 1/2" stock..The only dies I have in it right now are mild but hardened in super quench..I have some 1045 for my next swage dies laying around..The striking button on top is 1045..Its setting on a 200# fisher. Sorry about the pic quaility, Ive never had pics turn out fuzzy like that before :blink:
Picture292-1.jpg
Picture293-1.jpg

Yes, several in fact..I plan on a larger set of fullering dies using 1" round on the bottom, a hot cut maybe and several different shapes of fullers. The dies are an odd size (3 1/4" wide, 6" tall=Top, 3 1/4" wide,1 1/2" tall= Bottom) but that what I had to work with at the time..Thats not to big a problem though. I buy 1/2" plate locally at scrap price for small pieces..This is the first guillotine tool Ive had really worth using,,
Any suggestions on dies is more than welcome B)

I got tired of trying to swage big stock with spring swages and the one guillotine tool I had was to small so I b uilt this one from all 1/2" stock..The only dies I have in it right now are mild but hardened in super quench..I have some 1045 for my next swage dies laying around..The striking button on top is 1045..Its setting on a 200# fisher. Sorry about the pic quaility, Ive never had pics turn out fuzzy like that before :blink:
Picture292-1.jpg
Picture293-1.jpg

Very nice! Hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' your design. :P

By the way, that is an interesting hammer in your photo. I found one just like it along a local highway a few months ago. The one I found is made by Estwing and has their steel handle with blue cushion grip). I looked for quite a while to find a name for this style and eventually found it on the Estwing website under 'Specialty Hammers', it's called a 'Linemans's hammer'. I wonder what it's intended purpose is. I use mine for finish forging. The head is very hard and has a very smooth, almost flat surface, only the edges are eased. Too light for the heavier work bus does a nice job flattening and finishing.

When I built mine I used about a foot long bottom plate. Offset the hardy post. Tool is centered on the anvils mass.
Ken

Great idea Ken!

KY, the tool looks excellent. Seems very tall though, but you mentioned having to work with the materials at hand...just wondering if this might cause any problems...ie) hard to strike accurately with force etc?

Dave

• 1 month later...

Picture292-1.jpg
Picture293-1.jpg

Great Job, KYBoy-
If you are willing to make me one what would you charge me?
I don't have a heavy duty welder-
Thanks,
Dave