I Forge Iron

Chopper project

Sam Salvati

:D picked this up, found it on Craigslist. Like new condition. One of my Hobbies is mini bikes, I know it sounds kinda dumb but they are fun and uber cheap to chop and mod. I'll probably add atleast a custom exhaust, maybe custom handlebars, fenders, might rake out the forks. I ain't no Jesse James, but it should be fun.

l_ac708bd20886462a832d21c70069fc54.jpg

l_02f65fa038e84cbeaa1309df7b3b3eb3.jpg

Mike, modeled after one I think :D

Paul, i'll snap some shots as I go along. Went out this evening for a ride around the yard and down the street a bit, man I forgot how much fun these are :D I have been a mini-biker since I was younger, here's a shot of my first bike that was not pedal powered, I think I am about 13 in that photo (that's me on the left, and that's my best buddy James who owned the 70s Monte Carlo behind us)

l_3d96cea543749141c6c14247dd05c4d4.jpg

hey sam ive got a 750 honda that needs a little TLC, its in about 300 parts, how about you come down to ga and lets put it back together with a little modification! thats a fun lookin little bike, i been thinkin about putting a little 5hp motor i have lyin around on wheels myself so i dont have to walk the 80 yards to the shop every day!

hey sam ive got a 750 honda that needs a little TLC, its in about 300 parts, how about you come down to ga and lets put it back together with a little modification! thats a fun lookin little bike, i been thinkin about putting a little 5hp motor i have lyin around on wheels myself so i dont have to walk the 80 yards to the shop every day!

Mack, sounds good! I'd take you up but I am too busy with work.

Throw a small Kart together, they are more simple than a tire hammer to build!

:D thats wicked sam - love it! looks like a right laugh - ive had loads of old vehicles that i should do more with but nothing as cute as that! ;) keep showing us what you do with it - maybe if i can work out the camera thing i will post some of my rolling junk ...

Sam, Thats taking the term HOT PIPES to a new high. Watch yer laig.
Ken

There's a comfortable clearance, plus it's winter keeps my rear warm :D left cheek anyway....

l_d7122e0d9a4247c48e52ff56ef2380a3.jpg

Got it all back ship shape on my lunch hour and took it for a spin, it sounds like 1/2 a Harley when you get on it!

Beth, THANKS! I wouldn't call it cute *scuffs foot and looks down*

Jed if you are at the back of the seat, the front wheel starts to hop around (found out the hard way, almost hit neighbor's BMW) so I scootch as far forward as I can, and people say they put 6.5HP motors on these things! Turn it into a wheelie machine. I was thinkin apes :D but I might go for the low slung cafe racer style.

Thanks Rory!

Welder, it's got some torque for sure, but it does a good 25MPH and with the governor still on too.

I'm surprised it gets goin that fast but then that's not really fast either ;)

Back when I was into those types of things I built one (my last one actually) with an 8 hp Kohler that topped out 57 mph, clocked by a police radar, had a friend who's brother is a cop and like once a week he would come down and do speed checks for us, on the road of coarse.

I have ridden just about every type of 2, 3, 4 and 6 wheeled machine there is factory and home made, even road a friends race bike once at 180 mph but let me tell you, there is nothing like going 50+ mph on something that's smaller than you and sized for someone about an 1/8th your size on the road in the dark...it's an experience you just can't quite describe but I will say that on something that small 55 feels more like 105.

I've got all kinds of story's about that kind of stuff and lots of the stupid stuff we used to do....a lot of them fueled (unsafely)by entirely too much beer.

welder19

I'm surprised it gets goin that fast but then that's not really fast either ;)

Back when I was into those types of things I built one (my last one actually) with an 8 hp Kohler that topped out 57 mph, clocked by a police radar, had a friend who's brother is a cop and like once a week he would come down and do speed checks for us, on the road of coarse.

I have ridden just about every type of 2, 3, 4 and 6 wheeled machine there is factory and home made, even road a friends race bike once at 180 mph but let me tell you, there is nothing like going 50+ mph on something that's smaller than you and sized for someone about an 1/8th your size on the road in the dark...it's an experience you just can't quite describe but I will say that on something that small 55 feels more like 105.

I've got all kinds of story's about that kind of stuff and lots of the stupid stuff we used to do....a lot of them fueled (unsafely)by entirely too much beer.

welder19

57! WHEW! Bet that was a rush, like you say on something small it feels like double.

Good thing I don't drink much, would fear to think what I would get up to then! :D

Got the clutch cover fabbed and finished tonight, much better than the old plastic one. It's bronze, with cut, drilled and stamped decorations.

l_e2627a31a60e4761ad6e09a044fb50fc.jpg

l_cacdfb7d29dc4175b92777c7e03e3c75.jpg

l_9850a36a545b4554bed0a38d1796fdc9.jpg

l_a005d51c8fa44a4d8056f059db9cc7b3.jpg