I Forge Iron

where did the work go?

I would also suggest that you forget the "traditional" blacksmith tools only. This sure doesn't sound like a good start. Unless you have an angle I have yet to encounter (in 23 years). The truth is, if you intend to make any kind of living at this, you must either be well established with a museum of some sort, or use modern tools. I doubt there are any professional smiths who operate without power tools. In this field those power tools often hold value fairly well too. Mills, lathes, and grinders are all part of a modern shop, as are plasma cutters, mig welders, drill presses, bandsaws and powerhammers.

• 7 months later...

I have been forging iron since the late '80s. I ran my shop full time for most of the '90s . My business always made some money and at the very least was able to support my forging habit. In 1999 I got married and went on the road doing the journeyman thing. After a few years my wife and I returned home planning to settle down( by then kids were involved). I was unable to resume the ironworks business until 04. 2004 was my best year ever, but sadly my bills exceeded my income. I had to shut the forge down a second time and seek outside employment. For the last few years I have been millwrighting , traveling to do repair work on turbines and such. I have been laid off since June and kicking around the idea of getting the old shop up and running again. My problem is one I hadn't expected. All of the old contractors I used to work for are either out of business or near to being out. This is the first time in over 20 years I have come up completely empty! Is the economy THAT bad? I haven't even been able to pick up any tool dressing, which used to be my stand by emergency work. Zip on welding, machine work, and architechtural work is just absolutely gone. Has anybody else run into this or am I doing something wrong?

hi jason ye its a thing thats happening i think every where , here in australia the work used to be evey where i was booked 6 month in advanced but now its almost stoped i have opened a small shop window display to promote my work i am luck the rent is not a hi rent but i am trying to promote to increace my exposure to the public i think is the way to get more work good luck with it and keep well look after your back
moony

Moony, its everywhere, My welding/smithy has been closed for most of 1 1/2 yrs. Lucked out with my last big client.
Offered a saleried position with him and get to do my thing either there or here. Works if ya have enough gear to equip both places. Might wish to find a nice cave inna outback just in case.
Ken.

Gents,

National economic downturn notwithstanding, average inflation on (any) conusmables has cut into your overhead margin by at least 12 percent. Just look at your average grocery bill and the cost of gas for a quick reality check. Inflation is not rightfully tagged in todays market becauseof our bogus accounting system designed to make all the indicators look good. Fact is the added cost of inflation hurts anyone working on a narrow margin, like those that a re self employed or running small shops. Housing is through the floor almost a non enity at this point. Bright spots are repair and some fabrication attached to industry. Any way you can get next to stimulus money will have growth potential, gas plants, electrical distribution systems, railroads etc. This is where the money is being spent.

Peter

I have a good friend who is mentally ill (really no joke) he works with me in my shop everyday he is a very smart guy he was our class valedictorian and has a degree in astronomy and philosophy. I ask him his opinion on business matters all the time most of the time I might as well be talking to myself but this one day I asked him if he thought I should spend a bunch of money I didnt have on new inventory and machines and he said what difference does it make the outcome is the same, I asked him to explain, he said what will happen if you dont buy the machines and make new inventory, I will go broke since i wont be able to continue my business. What will happen if you buy them and the economy tanks, I will go broke and I wont have a business. What happens if you buy the stuff and sell it. I got the point and from that moment on I have stopped complaining about the bad economy and kept on working harder than ever since the only alternative is failure. You have nothing to lose it is only stuff they will make more.

I have a good friend who is mentally ill (really no joke) he works with me in my shop everyday he is a very smart guy he was our class valedictorian and has a degree in astronomy and philosophy. I ask him his opinion on business matters all the time most of the time I might as well be talking to myself but this one day I asked him if he thought I should spend a bunch of money I didnt have on new inventory and machines and he said what difference does it make the outcome is the same, I asked him to explain, he said what will happen if you dont buy the machines and make new inventory, I will go broke since i wont be able to continue my business. What will happen if you buy them and the economy tanks, I will go broke and I wont have a business. What happens if you buy the stuff and sell it. I got the point and from that moment on I have stopped complaining about the bad economy and kept on working harder than ever since the only alternative is failure. You have nothing to lose it is only stuff they will make more.

Kevin,I think you need to get a new tin foil hat(or armadillo helmet)and stop spending so much time in the shop with your co-workers. ;)

Work in my shop has pick up a lot as for some of my associates. The Monday, a week after the election my phone rang so much I had to turn the ringer off to get some work done. It has continued to ring and I am back logged with work into next year. I hope this the turn we have been looking for and not just a hic up.

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."
~ Henry Ford ~ Who failed many times.

Fear of failure is one of the greatest obstacles to success!

My old man has a saying. If you have done something wrong 10 times, it does not mean you have failed 10 times. You have just discovered 10 ways how not to do it.