I Forge Iron

Can i use an acetylene regulator for my new forge.

EZDUZIT

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum.
I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Over the holiday i got a 2 Burner Metalsmith Diamondback Ironworks forge that i have now.
Also i order a 1 Burner Knifemaker and 3 Burner Metalsmith Diamondback forge that i am hoping will come this week.

What comes with this forge is just a regular regulator.
I just happen to have some extra Acetylene regulators, can i use them for this forge?

And also use quick disconect ?
Will this set up restrict any flow?
What is the longest gas line most of you thick is the best to use from the propane bottle to the forge?

Thanks
EZDUZIT

Thanks Dave.

I looked at the post. but they talk about using Oxy/propane for cutting.

My regulators are ones for all gas so i can use it for propane and my hose are Grade T so thats ok too.
But this is my first gas forges.
Just didn't know if i can use the regulator and hose that i have as un upgrade from what came with my forge.

Thanks
EZDUZIT

Sorry, I was pointing to the whole thread, not just the one post. People discuss the issue in the Thread. For example:

SOME REGULATORS ARE NOT OK FOR PROPANE! They need to be marked "for all fuel gasses" and if you don't know it's ok get them checked before taking advice on the internet gets you killed or your house burned down!

Since I don't know how old or what brand regulators the original poster has err on the side of safety! Note that if your regulators are not ok for propane and you do use them for it and there is a problem your insurance is not required to pay!

• 2 weeks later...

The safe answer is NO. Using an acetelene regulator for propane is likely to result in an uncontrolled leak when the diaphram has been eaten enough for the gas pressure to burst it. This is BAD.The danger comes from propane's being much more reactive and eating rubber, hoses and regulator diaphrams.

Most propane welding type regulators aren't high volume enough for a forge but there are exceptions.

Call a welding supply and get the name of propane certified regulators and hoses, you will NOT be sorry.

I use a 0-50lb propane regulator on my forge and it'll crank four 3/4" burners to the max, no problem.

DARN! I tried uploading a couple pics of my variable volume forge but the newly revamped site insists on trying to upload the entire folder instead of individual pics. <sigh>

Anyway, propane is a potentially explosive flamable gas with a reputation for eating through non-rated hoses, regulators, Orings and such. It's NOT worth taking a chance to save a couple bucks.

Frosty the Lucky

Frosty I noticed your post saying you tried to upload a photo of your forge. I saved a copy of it when you used it to answer a question of mine last Feb. I'll see if I can load it here for you. Pardon me if I can't get it done. I was very impressed with it and I still want to model one for myself using some of your ideas.

Anvillain

I could not upload it either, but see if this brings up the photo you have in mind:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/uploads/9/7/8/11431.attach

Thomas
HWooldridge
Frosty

Thanks

I check my regulators and i have 3 for "acetylene" and 2 for "all Gas".
So i'm using the one that is for "all gas " with "T" grade hose on my Forge.

Thanks again for all the help.

I love my new forge.

EZDUZIT

The safe answer is NO. Using an acetelene regulator for propane is likely to result in an uncontrolled leak when the diaphram has been eaten enough for the gas pressure to burst it. This is BAD.The danger comes from propane's being much more reactive and eating rubber, hoses and regulator diaphrams.

Hi. I think that Frosty is right. Use the correct regulator for the job. They are not all that expensive.

Here is my experience with using an old acetylene regulator for propane. After about 4 years of operation, I noticed that the regulator started to creep. It would not creep if the forge was on, only if I shut off the gas. This was not safe, since the gas might have to be shut off at the ball valve in an emergency, and then the reg would probably vent.

Being kind of tight on funds (aren't most of us these days? :( ), and also curious, I opened the regulator to see what happened. I expected to see a degraded diaphragm and end up sending the regulator in for repair. It was the large Victor. Anyway, the diaphragm was fine. It had absolutely no signs of degradation. It was not made of rubber or any kind of polymer anyway. The problem was in the needle seat. The valve had a polymer seal. I examined this in careful detail, and it was just fine. The problem was that the body of the regulator had filled up with a vile smelling liquid, and some of this had gummed up the valve. That caused poor sealing, and therefore creep. I wiped out the liquid with a clean cloth, and the regulator held pressure just fine. It will probably work for several more years as long as I don't overdraw or bottom out a tank.

I suspect that real propane regulators have internal baffles or channels that prevent this liquid buildup. In a confined space, venting off from a released safety valve could be catastrophic.

Be careful out there!