I Forge Iron

price estimate on new peter wright....

hey yall,
i jsut aquired a new anvil, a peterwright. i would never sell it , but curious to know if i paid a good price. what would u guys say would be a good price for a guestimation of 100, not bad condition, fairly minor chip in the side. anything is apppreciated.
thx, willie

If the anvil was at least 80 to 100 pounds, and in good condition, I would say that was a very good price to acquire it for.

---

Apparently the conversion lost everyone's locations. You can add/re-add your location in the "Location" in the "Other Information" section of the forums "Profile". An example can be seen under my Avatar. :D

How to put (re-add) a location under your Avatar
… (because it was apparently lost during the conversion... oops.)
Step 1. Click on your name on the upper right hand corner of this screen for example Bob would click on “Mainely.Bob”.
Step 2. Scroll down and Click on "My Profile"
Step 3. Chick on “Edit My Profile” button near the upper right corner of the screen.
Step 4. Scroll down in the next screen to “Other Information” heading on the screen.
Step 5. In the “Location ” box, type your location into this box.
Step 6. Scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on the box that says, “Save Changes”.

I hope this helps. If not let me know where I may need to elaborate.

$100 is a good price,I would not pay any more than that. I have been able to find several for $1.00 per pound or less. Two I did pay a little more than that for, one was a 50# fisher in new cond,the other was my first and was a 150# Haybuden for $200

Gents,

This Christmas my wife surprised me with a 144 Lb Peter Wright she had found through a friend. Although the edges were heavily worn, the anvil rings ture. My wife volunteered she paid 100 USD for anvil and I told her it was a good buy, (right answer). However, aside from a very over priced e-bay site, I have no real reference matrix on what the anvil market reflects. I have attemptes to include a few photos but this new site and the photo option is not going that well.
Happy New Year to all you honorable iron banging folks.

Peter
Carrabassett Valley Forge

$100 is a good price,I would not pay any more than that. I have been able to find several for $1.00 per pound or less. Two I did pay a little more than that for, one was a 50# fisher in new cond,the other was my first and was a 150# Haybuden for $200

haha. i have a bit of a soft spot for hay buddens. I think that u should maybe let it go to me :) :)

When I lived in OH, (6 years ago) I averaged a good name anvil in great shape for under $1 per pound every year.
Out here in NM prices are much higher. On some of the coasts you see folks bragging about only spending $3 per pound.

$1 per pound for a brand name anvil in good using condition is a bragging price most anywhere. $2 for such an anvil if you
are in need of one is not a bad price most anywhere. $3 and up is getting kind of high IMNSHO.

That anvil is a bit light for a shop anvil but is just about *perfect* for a travel and demo anvil! Much above 100# and it's too heavy to move after a long day!

I figure the right answer here is "Are you happy with what you paid?" if so than it was priced right.

I have anvils that my Dad, and I purchased over the years, 2 within the past year. 260# Fisher 1907/$250, 306# Sodefors 1920's/$200, 150# Vulcan? $50, 170# H-B 1920/ $175, and a 125# JHM Journeyman that came in a package with a single burner forge, NC folding stand with spring vise, and 3 boxes of tools, and horseshoe stock for $250. In other parts of the country some guys would be happy paying 2x-3x what I did. It is regional supply,and demand. I gripe at paying $1 for an avacado because I used to get them free in CA. Matter of fact I pay a bit more for all produce here in the desert now. Apples, and anvils your price may vary. When it is all said and done the only person that this really matters to is you. if you are :D that is all that matters. Think of it this way. With firearms you never paid too much, you just bought it too soon. In other words the prices generally will catch up to what you paid over the years.

When I lived in OH, (6 years ago) I averaged a good name anvil in great shape for under $1 per pound every year.
Out here in NM prices are much higher. On some of the coasts you see folks bragging about only spending $3 per pound.

$1 per pound for a brand name anvil in good using condition is a bragging price most anywhere. $2 for such an anvil if you
are in need of one is not a bad price most anywhere. $3 and up is getting kind of high IMNSHO.

That anvil is a bit light for a shop anvil but is just about *perfect* for a travel and demo anvil! Much above 100# and it's too heavy to move after a long day!

thats why i have a #208 Hay budden for my shop anvil. right now they are both in the shop, but i use that hay- budden, learners use the P.w.

I figure the right answer here is "Are you happy with what you paid?" if so than it was priced right.

I have anvils that my Dad, and I purchased over the years, 2 within the past year. 260# Fisher 1907/$250, 306# Sodefors 1920's/$200, 150# Vulcan? $50, 170# H-B 1920/ $175, and a 125# JHM Journeyman that came in a package with a single burner forge, NC folding stand with spring vise, and 3 boxes of tools, and horseshoe stock for $250. In other parts of the country some guys would be happy paying 2x-3x what I did. It is regional supply,and demand. I gripe at paying $1 for an avacado because I used to get them free in CA. Matter of fact I pay a bit more for all produce here in the desert now. Apples, and anvils your price may vary. When it is all said and done the only person that this really matters to is you. if you are :D that is all that matters. Think of it this way. With firearms you never paid too much, you just bought it too soon. In other words the prices generally will catch up to what you paid over the years.

haha funny you said that. i recently paid a good bit too much for a C.Z .308 hahaha

I commonly "over-pay" my local scrap dealer for stuff I get from him. OTOH I get him looking out for stuff for me and enhanced access to the pile---gotta be able to climb over the pile to get anything good. *And* the next place I could go look is close to 100 miles away. A couple bucks more than scrap price for a pickup load doesn't come close to spending gas and time to go 100 miles! The relationship is worth the extra money to me. When's the last time the scrap dealer greeted you with "we haven't seen you around lately, you doing OK?"