I Forge Iron

Questions on a few anvils

Hello, Im new to the forum. I am just getting into blacksmithing, have bought a few forging tools but no anvil yet. Have been looking locally, found nothing yet suitable. I may get blasted for this but have even looked on ebay. There is a seller that has an anvil I am confused about. Has a Henry Wright that is stamped "Warranted Solid" and 127 below that. He is saying the anvil is 127 lbs, maybe so, but I thought english anvils were not marked in American lb. weight. He is also saying Henry Wright was Peter Wrights[anvil] father. I know that is incorrect. I have plenty of time, in no hurry and have had fun looking, sooner or later I will find the right anvil.

If it's the one that comes up when you type "Henry Wright Anvil" into EBay I don't know if I'd buy it...
Says "Henry Wright Warranted BEST SCRAP"?!
Stamped 1 2 0 from what it looks like.

And looks like it needs some major repair to be functional.

If you haven't already check craigslist... and don't be afraid to drive 1 1/2! :) Or more.

Not that one, it is item #290380093341, check it out. The reason it does not come up when you type in Henry Wright, is that the seller has the 2 words together as so-[HenryWright]so not many Blacksmiths are seeing this one. The other Henry Wrights that are on ebay are not very good, one marked 1835-1850 is in bad repair, but check out the item # above.

That I will, saw it was bid up to $376.11 and never met the reserve. I have looked at the new anvils, I really like the look and character of a vintage one. Not getting into full time forging, that would be a different matter, maybe after retirement. For now I will use the 80 pounder, it's at my dads and has been in the family for generations, was even used as a weight on the front end of a tractor at one time!

Look on Craigslist daily, and check the local classifieds if you get the paper. Also check out larger flea markets, the open air ones seem better as they pack up and go home everyday and its not a warehouse for junk. This also means waiting for summer in most areas.

A good anvil at flea market can go from $.50-$3 per pound, depending on size, type, and condition. Do a lot of reading to educate yourself before going so you know what makes a good anvil. Anvilfire.com has a good amount of information in articles, and the discussions here are valuable too.

Phil