I Forge Iron

Hello From Deere Country

Blacksmith58

Well, I finally got the chance and the time to get hooked up at this fourm. My name is Rick and I'm on a 12 step program for Blacksmiths. Don't know what step I'm on and I Don't care. I'm one of the Lucky one that has a full time job Blacksmithing. I'm the Resident Blacksmith at the John Deere Historic Site in Grand Detour, Illinois.

I just got started here at this web site so I thought I jump ion with a big old Howdy! Glad to be here! Looking forward to so some good conversations and idea exchanges!

Thomas Dean: Rick put a link to his web page in his profile. Just click on his name in his first post and you'll see it.

Rick: Welcome. I enjoyed the tour of your work on your site. In particular, your news rack is VERY nicely done. The sort of work that makes one smile just to look at it. Thanks for the link!

Well Mr Dean, I'm about 90% Cajun (CoonAxx to those in the know) was Born and Raised in Port Arthur, Texas. Only reason I wasn't born in LA. is cause my Dad got a job in Texas. So a Texan I am. You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the boy! All of my kin folks are around Lafayette LA. I left PA TX in 1976 for the USAF at 18 years of age. I retired from the USAF in 1995. Started working for Deere & Company as their Blacksmith and been there ever since!

Rick,

Welcome to the site. Lots of nice folks here.

I was at the Hammer in a couple of weeks ago and there were 2 different smiths working in the shop. A big fella and another fella who had to use a step for the anvil, which one are you? One made a big closepin and the other made a wire basket handle. A lot of fun to watch both.

Take care -

Blacksmithtech:

The key to working the coil to the right length is when you first bend and then coil around the anvilsteak is to be looking at the ends of the piece and making small adjustments so they do line up while everybody else including yourself is looking at the coil on the steak! It's either that or just pure dumb luck!