I Forge Iron

Mankel forge

SoCal Dave

Anyone with experience using a Mankel Forge with blower? I was wondering if there was any problems having three sides open. I know you can block of the two ends with bricks, but I was wonder if the forge will get hot enough to forge weld? The open aspect adds versatility to the forge, but without doors I imagine it would take some time to get up to welding temps and use a lot of gas in the process.

I have a Mankel 3 burner with air blower......you can leave it open for larger stuff or close off 1 or 2 or 3 sides depending on what you want to do. I fabbed up a steel insert to close the 2 sides and rear to raise the top section for more room and used fire bricks to close in the front. A very versatile forge. Close it up for forge welding to save gas.

I have a 3 burner mankel it came with plugs to close up the ends I have used fire bricks to plug up the long side. I normaly keep one end open and close off the side once the metal is in I slide in 1/2 of a fire brick so about 90% is closed off. I use my coal for for welding. Have not had the occision to weld in it flux can damage the refractory. I will try it soon It is a great forge its like a little jet engin. The only problems I have had was a mud dabber built a nest in one of the tubes so how I close all it up when done and I redrilled the blower and truned the motor away from the opening it was over heating and shutting down and with the gas on high and no blower it is a dangerous. I have melted copper and brass in a crusable but have to shut bown the blower before removing. I also put values on each burner so I can run one or two at a time. I use about 20 pounds in three hours with all three burners going.

• 2 months later...

A whole lot of the top end knifemakers use only gas forges for welding up billets, even at substantial altitudes, 5000+

So yes it's possible. The type of fuel gas used shouldn't matter much if the burner is tuned for it.

I have made a forge welded bar shoe on a 9000 foot pass in Clorado. That said, my blower powered Mankle would not weld (I couldn't get the adjustment right) until I replaced the blower with an atmospheric conversion. It is a horseshoer's special plus four from the middle 70's, still in use.

I thought LPG ( liquid petroleum gas ) was propane
as opposed to natural gas

Mike

LPG is a gas that can be liquified by pressure at normal temperatures. Basically propane and butane or some sort of mix. Butane requires lower pressure at a given temperature so is safer in hot areas but will start to fail you at temps near normal room temp (assuming you'd like 10 psi or so supply). Propane is good to temps well below zero, but has very high tank pressures as temps go into the triple digits. Your gas company may vary the mix with the season, but use mostly propane..

I thought LPG ( liquid petroleum gas ) was propane
as opposed to natural gas

Mike
[Thats correct but over here they mix an blend of Propane and butane , which lowers the calorific value.
I will try adding blower to my next experiment.I intend to blow gas up through ceramic balls to simulate a coal forge thus making it easier to heat odd shapes and eliminating the need for an enclosed box.]