I Forge Iron

best tig welder ?

jgstroh

Depends what you want to weld. If you are going to weld steel and stainless steel, a diversion would be o.k., but not great. If you want to weld aluminum, copper, brass or bronze, the diversion would be sorely lacking in both amps(power) and duty cycle(amount of time you can weld). A 10% duty cycle means you can weld safely for 6 minutes every hour at duty rated amp setting.

do us a favor and go to user cp and enter your location (people from all over the world on here) millers are good but i prefer lincoln myself i would sugest finding an older used machine i think they are better quality than what they are selling now unless you want an inverter (something you can tote around) LINCOLN IDEAL ARC 250 ARC - TIG WELDER - eBay (item 130349669331 end time Dec-11-09 17:56:22 PST)
this looks like a good machine

Depends what you want to weld. If you are going to weld steel and stainless steel, a diversion would be o.k., but not great. If you want to weld aluminum, copper, brass or bronze, the diversion would be sorely lacking in both amps(power) and duty cycle(amount of time you can weld). A 10% duty cycle means you can weld safely for 6 minutes every hour at duty rated amp setting.

Best is a matter of opinion, I have several TIG machines, my "best" is likely my Thermal Dynamics 185. It will weld anything including thick aluminum, bronze etc, weighs only fortyfive pounds, is smaller than a microwave oven, works on house current, draws only thirty amps and cost about $1600 when I bought it several years ago, on sale.

As a rule Themal Dynamics makes better cutting equipment; plasma cutter. That is their expertise. Miller and Lincoln do welding machines. T.D. plasma and (IMO) Miller welders. The Miller Syncrowave is superb, gives you Hi-Freq for alum. welding and you can stick or tig with the same machine. I have a Syncrowave 200 in my home shop (OK right now for what I do, may upgrade to a 250 when I retire) and use a Syncrowave 350 at work. If you are not welding alum. the an AC/DC lincoln will work.
Miller also makes a Dynasty that is a great welder. The Dynasty 200 will run off of regular 110v or 220v. Just be ready to lay down some bucks. IIRC around $3600+/-.

I have a Lincoln V-350 Pro, great welder, endless power (425 amps), I have a Lincoln 250-AC-DC, with a hi-freq adapter, great welder, I have a syncrowave 250, great welder, but I still say my TD185 is my best welder. Yes, the V-350 Pro has more amps, but no AC. The TD185 simply outwelds the Syncrowave for aluminum and bronze, and draws only 1/3 as many primary amps. It also has every bell ands wistle that the syncrowave has, and it totaly portable. At work we a couple Dynastys, they work fine, but the only thing they have over the TD is that they run on 110, and you are paying almost $2000 more just for that. Additionaly, when on 110 they have far less output power. Thermal Dynamics has been making inverter welding machines for many years now.

Edited by arftist

jgstroh first welcome aboard heres the locals places for you to check atlas welding supply ,industral welding supply both are lakewood i have used both and and had good luck with them just so you know atlas is closed on sat and open on sunday as there a jewish run shop hope this can help ya tom

I have to agree with arftist. I have a Thermal Dynamics 185 and it does everything well. It has more settings and modes than I need but they are there. I have used other TIGs including a Miller Synchro 250. The TA185 is more user and power friendly and will do aluminum very well in the thicknesses you noted.