I Forge Iron

flower with hummingbird

Spears

Thank you everyone for your compliments. I'm a bit modern day fine art compared to traditional methods. I love to look at what these blacksmiths do with techniques like forge welding, but processes like that are limited with much of the stuff I do. So if your very strict on processing methods, please forgive me because the added value from obedience to time periods won't be found in my art. I have taken awards for some of my work, (not this piece) but these are art exhibitions, not blacksmith competitions. The people who jury art competitions won't hold respect for anything except looks. You don't see a lot of hammered steel. Making something from steel is just downright tough to do. Regardless of how you fabricate it.

Well anyway, back to the important question. The middle of the flower is like Phil said, sheet metal. How I went about this piece is take a strip let's say 1/2" wide length depending. Cut a zig zag pattern (perfect or staggard anyway you like) along one edge. Wind it around in a circle until you get to the diameter of the disk you plan to weld it to. Stick a long leg of an insect or in this case the beak of a hummer through the pattern and weld. Make sure the assembly is as rigid with tack welds as you want it. Shape it against the convex part of a sheet metal candle holding dish you might make a candle stick holder out of before all the tacks are finished. Tack weld the dish/disk to the back of spiked assembly and sand smooth to your liking. You can curl the little points with needle nose pliers to your liking. You now have a fine art flower middle to place inside a pedal array of your choice. What kind of flower? Who cares? Its art right? As long as it is something you might see in a book or museum, let the eye of the beholder figure it out. Actually, as long as your spouse likes this stuff around the house, keep on hammering!

Spears

• 2 months later...

It's lovely!

And, I understand your sentiments regarding "traditional" techniques, for me also the final outcome is more important than the process. Having said that, the more traditional techniques do look good and sometimes can enhance and broaden the elements of design that you can incorporate into your work.