I Forge Iron

Inspector wants safety setbacks

Start with the fire department. Have them make a courtesy inspection of the building and offer suggestions as to how to improve things. Have fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and everything else in place before they get there. Make the changes and invite them back to see the progress.

Look up the rules and regs on related items, such as fire places, BBQ's etc. This should give you some idea where to start. Boston is not that far from other states, so ask their state inspector to provide you with rules and regs from that state, and ask THEM how you can work with your state inspector to solve this problem. If you are lucky enough to get someone helpful, you may be able to get all sorts of suggestions.

You may want to look into a hole in the roof as a back up plan.

Doug,

Have you thought about contacting one of the "real" smithy's around, such as Schiff Architectural Detail in Chelsea, and find out what rules were applied to their certification? A real commercial smithy had to get signed off and approved to get started, and so they have likely been through a lot of this. I do not know Jeff Schiff personally, but I have met him once, and he seemed like a very nice guy, and very helpful. (maybe because I showed up to his shop on a fire engine, asking him if he could spot weld something. He would have done anything to get us the hell out of here as fast as possible lol)

Or the guy who posted that first thread 2 weeks ago about the power hammer on Massachusetts craigslist, I seem to remember that he was a professional smith with a large shop in Dorchester... He has no doubt been through the ringer with the Boston Fire Department. I think those guys could give you some real, usable information to build your case.

Massachusetts is no joke. Got to be some of the strictest regs and fire/building inspectors in the country. Especially in your area!

Edited by MarkC

I have always found it a great help getting a member or two of the local fire dept and police force interested in smithing when I lived in thickly settled areas; helps turn confrontations into "hey someone called can you hold it down after 9pm?" To which you say "sure, no problem!"

However some neighbors can't be reasoned with---had one that called me into the fire department about 4 times. By sheer luck it was when I was using our BBQ Smoker and cooking *is* a legitimate exception to the fire rules in that city! After the forth time they wedged the fire truck down the narrow alleyway to see me cooking salmon I heard on the bounce that they told them that the next false alarm would be a $1000 fine and I never had anymore problems. (My other neighbor liked my forge; reminded her of her childhood with a coal furnace in their house...)

A hole in the roof is more like a traditional fireplace chimney. A side draft chimney, with the fire in the open, is not used for home heating anymore, other than in fully enclosed appliances. A Hofi style side draft chimney has never been seen by most people in the world, and operates against the sensibility of a person without a fire trade education.

Good luck. I hope that the writeup provides useful information
Phil

Doug, May be too late for this suggestion but you may want to head to the library and look up a set of code books put out by the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA). In these code books they cover just about any kind of appliance that produces a flame or heat that may cause a problem in the area of fire protection. And maybe like others have suggested it is time for a portable forge. I know it's cold in Boston but for a while a rivet forge may bring you a modicum of peace with your neighbor and for you. Just set it outside the door. I had this problem in one of my shops, the city I was in wouldn't allow a forge in the shop but right outside the door was OK. Go figure on that one.

Everyone,

My building inspector wants the safety and manufacturing specs on my 1901 champion coal forge and the Uri Hofi side draft forge that I installed.

I think after reading Mark C's discription of the code, you had your answer all along. All you need to do is ask Uri to draw up the specifics of the side draft and find some pictures of a Champion Forge installed up against a wall in a school setting. Easy, right?:)

oh wow, nice idea. Around here, you tell people you're a "Blacksmith" and they don't have the slightest idea what to say. They know there aren't any horses in the area, so the standard misconception that we're all horseshoers doesn't even apply. So people are just completely dumbfounded. But you tell them you're a "Metal Artist" and suddenly you're the Most Interesting Man In The World from the Dos Equis beer advert. I go by Metal Artist around here. I don't need to be explaining my profession, what I need is to be getting paid.

Edited by MarkC