I Forge Iron

Anyone here a bowhunter?

JWCarlson

I use an old Damon Howatt 62 lb recurve and shoot instinctively. Some folks can do better but I limit myself to 20-25 yds. That's a really nice buck - we have decent racks here but body sizes don't get that big in Texas.

Someday I wouldn't mind shooting a stick bow instead. I don't dedicate enough time to shooting to do it now, though. I won't shoot over 15 yards, 20 if it's perfect angle and everything. Not worth it otherwise. I don't go bow hunting to shoot deer at gun distances.

I use an old Damon Howatt 62 lb recurve and shoot instinctively. Some folks can do better but I limit myself to 20-25 yds. That's a really nice buck - we have decent racks here but body sizes don't get that big in Texas.

HWooldridge,
I believe that's the first time I've ever heard a Texan say something wasn't bigger in Texas.;)

John

P.S. Couldn't let that one go

HWooldridge,
I believe that's the first time I've ever heard a Texan say something wasn't bigger in Texas.;)

John

P.S. Couldn't let that one go

;-)...that's OK. Those old Ohio deer are larger but we can bag 7 per year and including the archery-only session, the entire season spans Oct 1 thru late January in many counties. We can get out and hunt for almost 4 months at a stretch.

So, looking at the whole picture, it's still bigger here...

;-)...that's OK. Those old Ohio deer are larger but we can bag 7 per year and including the archery-only session, the entire season spans Oct 1 thru late January in many counties. We can get out and hunt for almost 4 months at a stretch.

So, looking at the whole picture, it's still bigger here...

No it's not bigger there, it takes you 7 deer to make it the same size as one of ours. Plus you need that long of a season just to bag that many. Just some good old ribbing going on here!!! HWoolridge we do have a long hunting season here, but try going out in Jan. with a bow to hunt it is not very fun. I have even had some pretty darn cold Black Powder hunts. Good huntin' to you and bag those critters.

We are allowed 2 deer in our county, but like my hunting partner says you have to get the first deer before your second. Not so easy when you let the little ones walk on by, got to let them grow up. As far as corn fed deer I'll eat them before I'll have one thats been grazing on sage brush. I'm going to stop the ribbing and let you Texans have the last word, don't want to hurt ya'll feelings. Good huntin' to you all.

I don't know about corn fed, but here in Massachusetts they sure do like the garden. I put an electric fence around it about 8 years ago and it kept them and the woodchucks out until this year. This year they learned they could jump the fence and they decimated it. They ate everything.

I have a bow hunting friend and let him put up a tree stand. He saw 20 deer the first day of the season - but passed on the does as they were small (Texas sized?). Then he was face to face with an 8 point buck - and passed on the shot - to many branches in between! Never saw another.

Shotgun season just opened but even with 9.5 acres, there just isn't room to safely shoot on my property. I hope he comes back with the bow after the snow flies.

Bill

Most of the deer in this area (the Hill Country) are around 120 lbs or so but some don't even get that big because they simply overpopulate in many areas and the range won't support larger body sizes. You have to go to south Texas for the big boys and I've seen a couple down there go 190 or so - but I'll admit the really large whitetails are all up north. Now, we do have some big feral hogs - I have seen several in the 400 lb and larger range. Those can be some fun with a bow.

I also concur with Bad Creek - good luck to everyone who goes out for meat...

I used to live in Fla. I felt like I was shooting little yearlings hunting there. I'm back in Ohio now, dropped a nice doe this year with my recurve. I hunt for the meat only. Nothing tastes better than good old venison stew when I'm at a rondezvous.

I'm a meat hunter too, don't get me wrong... Doe is obviously the best eating... this guy just happened by and I got lucky! Would have shot him just the same as a fork horn.