I Forge Iron

Something new to me

Here is a new element to me. It is something like the split cross but only split on one plane. I just thought about it a couple of days ago. It may have been done before, but I haven't seen it. There could be many different applications for this, and I'm going to explore it more. Some of you may want to take it in your own direction, so here is what I've done so far, but I see so much more room for embelishment.

19001.attach

19002.attach

19003.attach

19004.attach

19005.attach

19006.attach

19007.attach

19008.attach

Glad to see a new post from you Brian! I know you've been busy on the very successful road trip, i have missed your tutorials. So you slot punch the bar, drift, slit the middle, and draw out the piece to size, and finish with accents? Is this easier to control than slitting a portion the same size as the two holes plus the piece in the middle?

It looks straight forward and simple... is it really? and how many tries did it take to get it to look like that? (I ask this with humor and to see how an idea like this gets worked out)

Well done! I wonder what mine would look like...
Cliff

It looks straight forward and simple... is it really? and how many tries did it take to get it to look like that? (I ask this with humor and to see how an idea like this gets worked out)

Well done! I wonder what mine would look like...
Cliff

Yes,it is that simple. It worked on the first try. I thought of it because I have done alot of slit fish before and never liked the hassle of opening up the split with the bevels left inside, and the half twists solved the problem and opened up a whole new can of worms.

Thanks, everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I did a couple of more yesterday to leave with Peyton Anderson of Yesteryear Forge. One was like the first and the other was drifted square on the diamond with 1"x 1/4". The second one was Mike Tanner's sugesstion. I didn't have my camera with me, but Peyton said he'd take some pics. The way it's drifted, the width of material, the length of the split, the direction of the twists, whether or not or how much you open up the split, and whether or not you hammer it back to plane all influence your final results.

OK, so I am finding it hard to believe that no one else has posted an attempt at this.
I was working on some BBQ tools for an order today, and between sets got to thinking about the fish.
Ran to the stock rack and grabbed a rusty piece of 1/8" x 1" and had at it.
Learned that I need a proper slitter because a 3/4" cold chisel don't cut it.
Need more practice!

19126.attach

• 3 years later...