I Forge Iron

Crosses and more Crosses

Nice grouping John, great to see you aint letting your skills get rusty.

Btw: a Little Giant 100# is up and running here and a 50# is getting a complete makeover. I guarantee it now takes longer to heat a chunk of 4140 than it does to hammer it into a drift, LOL.

You know you are more than welcome to come "play" here anytime.

The crosses start out as 3-1/2" of 3/8" square. the finished cross is 3-3/4" tall and 3" wide the celtics are a little bigger. good size for a key fob or a necklace either one. It takes longer to mark and cut them than it does to forge them. The trick to forging is to keep everything straight as you go.
Reidster,
How did you do the texture on yours? I like that. Also the starting dim and finished dimensions if you don't mind sharing.

John

Stan,
Nice cross I remember you showing that to me when I was at your place. Thanks for the link also.
Oak Hill Forge,
Bandsaw withe guides clamped on both sides of the blade to keep it centered and a push stick to keep the fingers outta the blade. I will show post some pictures of the setup this evening.

John

I started with 3/4" sq about 6" long. I overlapped splits by 1/2" - I think one cut was 3 1/2" and the other was 3". I used a small cross pein along the lenght axis to texture on both sides and it came out pretty well I think for a newby.
Oh yeah - I also had to "trim" about 1" for three of the longer legs to get proper looking geometry. I think I figured the width should be about what the long leg legth is measured from center and the top portion should be about 1/2 the width.
I cheated and drilled and tapped the end using 10-24 tap and bolted the base on. I hammered the edge of the base for texturing as well as marbled if you will by leting the base scale up 3-4 times. Applied several coats of boiled linseed oil to warm parts for finish.
I made this piece as a gift to my mother and her husband as they are both really ill right now and thought this would provide some spritual motivation for them both.

Been busy in the shop and didn't get the bandsaw guide pics up that I promised. Very simple 2 pieces of 3/8" x 1" flat stock and 4 c-clamp vise grips. Made a pusher stick out of the same 3/8" square stock the crosses are made of to keep my fingers out of the blade too.

John

19016.attach