I Forge Iron

Books for winter reading.

I'm getting a bad forge jones going (what I get for moving to a sub-zero winter climate) and went and bought a bunch of blacksmithing books to read and study, also for references. Not that there isn't tons of stuff online. But, sometimes a hard copy seems easier for me to read or get into my head. So far I have collected, Blacksmithing, Basics for the homestead, by Joe DeLaRonde, The Blacksmith's Craft, by Charles McRaven, Practical Blacksmithing and Metalworking Second Edition, by Percy W. Blandford, The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers, The Backyard Blacksmith, By Lorelei Sims, and finally Hot techniques and striking projects Blacksmithing, by Jose Antonio Ares. Wow what a mouthful. Anyway I figure I can learn a lot from these fine folks.

Aw,c'mon.Bryan,get your butt out there-it's only -41!:D

OK,never mind,just envious of all these books,only read a couple of those,good for you to've gotten them.I did spent about 4 hours forging yesterday,have a frostbitten spot to show for it,andspent all day today installing a barrel-stove,about time.

Wanted to tell you that i started to use that coal from Healy,the Usibelli mine.It is foul(visible sulfur inclusions),and acts weird.Am having to learn to manage it like i've never used coal before,sq.1.BUT:It IS usable,and does work in the bottom-blast.(With a LOT of blast,i'm using an oil furnace blower,though the handcrank is sufficient).
I've 1 ton of it to go through,so will be able to tell you more about it soon.

Don't despair(yet),i can see a large low pressure center heading your way(my visibility south is extensive),shouldbe there by Friday,i'd say.
Stay warm!Jake

lol you all are making me feel old. I love reading, and have since I was a child (I snuck into my dad's study when I was 10 and read "Hunt for Red October" all the way through). I'm actually hard up for resources right now to read that aren't on the internet. I'm tired of perusing Wikipedia for blacksmith-related articles that may or may not be validated, and forums are great but I don't always have time to be on the internet (watching the kids) and I would love to have something to read on lunch breaks at work. I can't really borrow a bunch from the library because we're trying to get ready to move to a different town within a month or two. However, I COULD ask for blacksmithing books for Christmas! I just don't want to have someone blow a whole lot on something that turns out to not be so good. Several questions: Where did you acquire those titles you mentioned? How much were they? If you have read any yet, where they worthwhile? I would definitely appreciate your feedback, K. Bryan Morgan, and happy reading to you!

Some books that I enjoy and find useful Practical Blacksmithing by M.T. Richardson,Manual of Blacksmithing ,by John R. Smith,The complete guide to Blacksmithing,horseshoeing,carriage and wagon building by Prof. A.Lungwitz and Charles Adams, Ornamental Ironwork,guide to design,history,and use in architecture by Susan and Michael a really good book!

Jake would be very interested in seeing how the Healy coal is I know someone n Wallisia trying to get some .

Teejay,i can tell you what i now at this point,and even more later.

This stuff is NOT for the fainthearted...

It is a soft bitumenous coal contaminated with stuff that,vaporised,can hurt you bad(per my engineer friend and associate).

It does not coke,but forms ash and a silicate clinker,depending on the blast(i surmise).The slag is very sticky,andwill do a job on your iron,important to maintain the depth of fire.

The structure of it is flat/plate type,so it's not easy to manage in the pot.

The BTU's are very high,it roars with enough air(will oxidise your work unto ...bad states,anyhoo).

Beside being a masochist,one must have a serious forge-hood,and very fire-retardent surrounding area.The fines,inevitable when buying large quantities, create diplays that are pretty scenic.

All in all,i wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.Many of these effects are true of many kinds of coal,but it don't make it much easier,and this stuff can discourage a less experienced person.
For years i've been spoiled by the assorted Poco types,but it would not be practical to use for what i need it for.(I need to run a LARGE fire,without any regards to saving fuel).
So,depending on what your friend wants to do,it CAN be tamed,but god helps us all.

The very best of luck,Jake

well i have all the books mentioned so far and ide also add proffesional smithing by donald streeter( not sure on title but author is correct) ive also recently gotten mark asbery books and can heartily reccomend them ! they have many practical ideas i havnt seen in any other book ! he also decribes how to use a tool then how to make it and why to make it a certan way.. i have many other books ive collected over the years most have a lot of the same info or are dealing with things we hardly see anymore but can still have useful info . have fun

Jake, Thanks for letting me know about the coal. I don't know if I am ready for that much commitment for the Healy coal yet. I'm supposed to be getting a propane forge here in a little bit and have a shed to use it in. Not insulated yet but that's not hard to fix. I know you rough it up there on the Yukon. I must admit I admire your commitment to that lifestyle. I've been though many hard things in my life, but, I know I couldn't do what you do.

Iron Bear, the books are in the $20 to $25 dollar range, the only one I personally wouldn't recommend is Hot techniques and striking projects Blacksmithing, by Jose Antonio Ares. More of an art book. It's short on teaching and long on look what I can do, in my opinion. As for the others I've read the parts I need to to get the information I want to make the things I'm practicing on. The one I am currently enjoying is The Blacksmiths Craft. But all but the ones I mentioned are very good.

Hey,Bryan.Hope that you don't take my posturing seriously-i'm funning,of course.My "lifestyle" here is stupid,at best,suicidal at worst,but in NO wise an approach to sensible forging.
I have endless respect for those of us that are prudent,take their time studying,proceed with calm and dignity.You'll end up way further that way.

The propane forge is nice,for some things.Very different from coal.

The cold is actually less kind to gas.Once the 100lb bottle cools down to our temps,you've pretty much had it.Besides insulation,and the heat source,it'll take time to warm up.If it's inside.Outside-forget it.(Forging inside with a tank next to you is unsettling somewhat,but it is what i do,no other way.)

Coal is actually more practical in the low range of temps.Put your bunny boots on,and you'll find yourself stripping to a comfortable gear layer,soon.

Sorry,i lied about that low-pressure center.It moved off,beyond the hills.We're probably in this spell for a good while.Well,we were overdue.
Stay warm,and all the best to ya,Jake

Hey Jake, no I didn't take you seriously. I knew you were messin. No worries. I honestly admire what you do. Not for me for sure. I want to insulate the shed anyway, put in a heater system. North Pole gravel has coal heaters that would work great for the shed. And I can build a brick forge in there with a nice side draft hood ala the Hofi style. It has a wooden floor so I would need to nail down some sheet metal on it so I don't burn it down, put some duarock on the walls too. I saw that used at a smithy in Kansas, it worked very well for them. Just some ideas I've been kicking around.

Thanks Mike that's a great idea. I may just do that in any case no matter what I end up doing.

Unicorn, Yes I plan to get all the books by Jim Hrisoulas in the future. I have much to learn about smithing before I'm ready to make blades. And, I would like to thank everyone else for the great suggestions. I have found on Google books a bunch of older freebies that are out of print out of copyright that are free to view. Oh and also on Anvilfire.com.

Jake he's been smithing for about 15 yrs mostly knives,you may know him or of him Dawnavan Crawford he's used coal quite alot.
Have a question for you or Bryan what kind of smithing tools are hard to come by there?
Or tools you would like to see available? Other than anvils and swedge blocks.

OK, if you want to read nothing but books on blacksmithing the titles suggested are fine...I've read a number of them myself.

I suggest you take in a few volumes that have nothing to do with the craft. Maybe a journal of an around the world motorcycle trip, maybe a history of Latin America, maybe a collection of poems or a novel from 1965, or a biography of your favourite music star.

Being a good smith isn't just about technique; it's about how you see the world and how you translate that into your work.

Happy reading!

Teejay,i see,well,tell him at least that the sulfur inclusions are visible with a nekkid eye(it may matter in a finer metallurgy of bladesmithing),but that the BTUs are there,no problem.
And no,i don't believe i've had the honor to meet him.It is a big state,and i'm rarely on the road system.My regards,though,and all the best to him and the other Wasilla smiths,Frosty,Mark C,et al.
On your question,afraid that i'm not much help.Bryan,any thoughts?It's just between building,and scavenging my tooling i could not think of anything that i,personally,would need...Also,Alaska is fairly plugged-in,and the mail-order scene is well developed.
Possibly,Wes,a bladesmith working on Kodiak Is can think of some specific knife-related tools that are hard to come by(if he chances to see this).
Mustadd that it's somehow very satisfying to becasually exchanging noteswith someone from Oklahoma-neat!Cheers there,Teejay,and good forging!

Rio Bravo-just out of contrariness,i can say just the opposite,and it will be equally true!I understandwhat you mean,though,am a compulsive reader myself(often,to the detriment of productivity).
But,back to your thought:Actually,to "translate",implies a mastery of ...Both,i suppose.So,one DOES need to speak the proper Forge-tongue(i.e.technique),to be able to express one's elf in this medium!Cheers to you as well,sir,and booksare,indeed,way cool!

Teejay, Just about everything is hard to come by here. If I don't make tongs I have to order online, which I haven't done yet. Hammers are easy, there are lots of smithing hammers here. And coal. I have yet to find any drifts or punches that are blacksmithing specific. But, making them will be fun and a good way to learn. I can't find any swages, or fullers. May have to make them too. But that's the fun of this hobby for me. Getting the knowledge to make what I need to do it.

Rio Bravo- I have traveled the world. Served my country. I've been on all seven continents. I have, in my time read over 7000 books. I have three degrees. I am about as well rounded as a person can get.
Right now I am reading, besides these books, The Count of Monte Cristo, for the second time. I was written in 1844.